[A] Patrols, raids, investigation and more

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[A] Patrols, raids, investigation and more

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:24 am

Calling all able men and women to aid our city and surrounding villages...
"With the efforts of Stormwind focused on the war at the Broken Shore, the surrounding provinces of of Stormwind: Westfall, Elwynn, Duskwood and Redridge Mountains, are suffering. Our people feel neglected, and reports have been coming in more and more that Thieves, other criminals and even Orcs have been causing trouble in these regions. We must answer these threats, and ensure that our people are kept safe both in and around Stormwind.

I, Lady Anne Shieldheart, will lead regular patrols and investigations into these provinces and within Stormwind, and I am calling upon able volunteers from all Stormwind stationed regiments, militia and individuals to lend me your aid. We must join our forces and ensure that our city and surrounding villages are kept safe.

Details will follow shortly and Commanders of all Stormwind stationed regiments will be informed. The first patrol is scheduled for Sunday evening, 20:30."

OOC: some details
Hello! I'm sure quite a few people do not know me. I've been a very active role-player and DM on Defias Brotherhood until a little over three years ago and have recently returned to the game. Since I'm still interested in roleplaying, I figured I'd undertake an initiative to set up some more events on the server. Yesterday at the Council session I asked for permission to do this IC. Here are some more details OOC.

The events I organize are DM-events. The whole purpose of these events is to provide an environment in which anyone who is willing to participate can roleplay with their characters, have fun, do character development, and so forth. The way the characters involved in the event respond to the outlines of the story will decide how the event plays out and what will happen.

How do your events work?
I usually outline an event with a certain purpose. A patrol, an investigation, guard training, or something else. It can really be anything and I have also done occasional events based upon people requesting me to outline a story to help them in their character development. The event is best if at minimum there are four to five characters present. I have Anne participate as well by means of being able to set the stages of the story, and should the characters involved for whatever reason get stuck... I can have her provide a hint or something like that. The events last around one and a half to two hours. Potentially it could be longer but two hours is a good starting point. The ending usually means having completed a certain task or purpose that was the reason for the event. In the case of a patrol, completing the patrol. In the case of an investigation, finding the evidence that was needed, and so forth.

Is there combat involved and how does it work?
Yes, definitely. There is combat involved. The nice thing about events like these is that we do not need actual played character enemies for the event to work. By means of raid markers, NPC's, and imagination, I can create battles and have all characters present in the event engage in combat. In order to make the combat work in larger groups, I use a two-round system. A defensive round and an offensive round. During the defensive round, the characters get attacked by whatever it is that they are put against, and need to defend. During the offensive round the characters can act (usually an attack but it can also be something else like dragging an injured ally away or performing some other heroic feat). I use a roll-system to decide the success or failure of the offensive act or defensive act. 0-49 means a failure 50-100 means success. When combat starts, I announce whether it starts with a defensive roll (imagine the group getting ambushed) or an offensive roll (imagine the group having the initiative). Those involved do a roll, and based on their roll they can emote their actions. I narrate in-between rounds how the combat plays out and what is happening at what time. This ensures that characters involved can focus on their actions and ideas, while I keep track of the overview and development of the combat. I am aware there are more roll-based systems around. I choose to use this one because it's simple and accessible, and everyone can understand it after a very brief explanation.

Will you force things upon characters such as injuries?
No. Definitely not. The reason I use a roll system is so I can coordinate larger groups and keep things structured and emote-chaos-free, but the characters involved decide what happens to their characters. Again, I simply set a context and story for you to roleplay your character in. For example, suppose you have to roll defensively against an attack but because you roll a 42, you 'fail' at your defensive roll. It is you who decides what then happens and whether you want your character to sustain an injury. If you prefer not to have that happen to your character, then simply emote something like absorbing the blow with your armor, giving you a bruise or something like that. For realism purposes, I would suggest you do take the 'failure' into account somehow (for example, I had a character once that didn't want to be injured but simply emoted having to focus so much on defending and parrying attacks, that she could not attack the next round). It only makes for a nicer experience and also allows other characters to react to what is happening with you for example. But again... this is completely up to you individually.

Who can join?
Literally anyone. I don't care if you're new or a veteran at roleplay. I simply want to offer an option to experience events and combat even though we have a smaller player base and as such (obviously) less 'villains'. Events like these can help with that by providing for example combat even if there are only a handful of characters present.

First event?
Sunday (30-04), 20:30.

I am looking forward to it! I'm starting with a patrol on sunday, and after that I'll see what is up next. I hope to see you there!

Back to top Go down

Re: [A] Patrols, raids, investigation and more

Post by Reyxor - Lucag on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm

*Ministry of Defense of the Stormwind Council Approves this initiative. Keep our lands in check.*

This will be included in the ongoing training of guards from outside guard orders.

Great idea in general.
Reyxor - Lucag

Character sheet
Name: Reyxor
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelinn Everstride on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:18 am

Yes, sounds good. We are looking forward to the Patrols and, thanks for organising such.
Kelinn Everstride

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:35 am

Thanks! Sadly I have to say that I can't attend tonight. A private matter has popped up which will prevent me from reaching home on time for the patrol. Going to reschedule it to a more convenient moment.

Appologies for the late cancellation. Normally not my thing but I have to give this priority.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelinn Everstride on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:54 am

Okay sure, will be worth the wait Im sure Smile
Kelinn Everstride

Back to top Go down

Post by Reyxor - Lucag on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 am

Ah alright, as a note will see that the guard training will commence then today without the patrol part.
Reyxor - Lucag

Character sheet
Name: Reyxor
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top