Pleased to be a part of the community

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pleased to be a part of the community

Post by Liræi Roden on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 am

If I may be so blunt with my topic name....

Hello and I'm happy that I've bumped into the community, even though my first moments were quite improvised, haha!
Allow me to introduce myself quickly before I loose myself in a wall of text and questions...
My name is Radovan, I currently live in Slovakia and study (unfortunately) kynology. I'm 20 and most of my free time is spent with either reading, digital painting or playing.
Roleplay seemed fascinating for a while now, I've had very little experience with it in past and would like to change that, hopefully here and with you.

Past days I've been trying to get familiar with character developement and interactions with other characters. I have been noted few times to pay attention to this and that, Ie. rules of sneaking, emoting use of items and so forth.
Reading all the stories and interacting with others led to many interesting situations so far. Though I feel that my approach is too general and direct... as if the character was very adjustable, im not sure...
Heard few times that a poor performance might lead me to being ignored or overlooked by some more experienced RPers, and I mainly post to broaden my horizon.
I'm currently browsing the forums for a while and intend to do so in forseeable future to soak in what I can.

I was wondering if someone could give me more general hints and tips first hand, or direct me to another thread.

I'm spending most of my time in game as IC and am aware of possible consequences of my actions.

I thank everyone in advance and hope to see you around~

Last edited by Raedin on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistakes)

Liræi Roden

Character sheet
Name: Liræi Roden
Title: The Deceased Feral Hermit

http://raedin.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pleased to be a part of the community

Post by Zackarn Yorelas on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:13 am

I believe we had a chat last night, I'm honestly surprised to see you braved the forum so quickly, new RP'ers tend to shy away from it but it's a very good start and a smart move IMO.

As for advice, I gave all I had really, I've never RP'ed a sneaking character properly so my experience is limited to being the one spyed on, however the fact you've given it so much consideration also bodes well, meta-gaming spys are much hated and with good reason, see you around soon.. Or will I? (I know... It's terrible) Hahaha!

Zackarn Yorelas

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Liræi Roden on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:56 am

Haha! I'm not intending to sneak for living!

Yes, thanks for your tips and all that. I thought using the forum is a better shot than to bother people in game with questions or mistakes.
Perhaps I should study the lore more throughly too... I've been in warcraft for a long time, since Orcs and Humans through Beyond the Dark Portal and WIII ... then i got back to it at TBC and WotLK and now im here, missing out a massive portion of the whole story.

Liræi Roden

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:41 am

Hello Raedin and welcome among the roleplaying community. Smile

I'll try to cover a few areas and toss around some tips and hints.

First of all, if you are confident about your digital painting skills, that is a way for you to make out some Ingame and RL money. Many roleplayers will seek to have some of their characters drawn at somepoint, for not all of us are gifted with the skills to make anything more impressive than stick figures. If you want to market your digital art or just show your works, this thread is a good place to do that: http://www.defiasrp.com/t8364p510-

In terms of actual roleplaying, emoting whenever your character "does" something is good. Climb on a roof, mount on a horse, raise a tankard for a cheers, when they sneeze, and so-on. The more you emote your actions, the more you "paint" the picture that is your character, make them appear more 'alive', more real.

My own take of roleplaying a stealthy character, is to learn not to use Stealth at all. It challenges you to think more creative on how to remain hidden. Dark corners, support beams, hide within a bush, in a tree, and so-on. Makes sneaking much more challenging (and fun) than just standing in a room under the effect of a cloaking spell (stealth). It is a great tool to skulk OOC, but I avoid using it myself IC. Transformation items, potions to make you translucent and remote controlled toys are great tools for a sneaky persons arsenal, to.

As long as you do not remove all your clothes and get to the face of people, and when you respond to /say and /emote of others, I don't think you'd get ignored by anyone. If you feel like you're being ignored however or otherwise uncertain, you can whisper others and let them know that you are new into roleplaying. Most people are very open to help new people and be more friendly - knowing that you are actually there trying to learn, and not just not lolling around.

Following some extent of realism is also good. We can not hear through walls, see what our characters are not looking at, hear a conversation that is gone on a low tone 30 yards away from your character, read nameplates, read someones class, read someones entire background story and have your character know it just by you reading the profile OOC....

Essentially, what your character sees, hears and feels of the world is what you can use in Roleplaying. The rest are just game mechanics (such as the UI, nameplates, class colors and so-on).

Best way to learn roleplaying is actually to just go and roleplaying. However, reading up on lore is always a good thing. Wowpedia is a good site for anything. If roleplaying a Human, it is good to read all that there is to know of the Humans and their history. Not knowing all the story and lore can actually be good. It is more realistic that our characters do not know everything, for the world is vast and larger than displayed ingame. You can always ask of things In Character. My Draenei still have only a vague idea of what The Lich King was and no knowledge of most events of Azeroth. Otherwise, you can give the Roleplaying Realm sticky post links a look: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900640229

Toss away if you have questions. I for one skulk forums to respond questions of roleplaying that one may have.

Contact: Skarain#2346(Btag), Skarain#8885(Discord), inejaro(Skype)

Help the appearance of the server: Report player/pet/guild names.

Forum Moderator: Contact in regarding questions or issues with the forum.

"Roleplaying....is beautiful. And it may take your heart and soul. Entirely..."

Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Liræi Roden on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:54 am

First of all thank you for your time and effort put into this response.

Everything stated above is really comprehensive and will indeed sear deeper into my memory.

For the sneaking bit, I have already had quite an experience yesterday.  I used an emoting tips of Zackarus, to be fair with the other side. I tried to reason through all my stealth to persuade the other side of my ability to conceal myself. I indeed also offered hints to my possible discovery, but they were kind enough to notice it quite far from the begining. I used the objects and shadows for visual concealment along my stealth,  smoke and odors for the rest (since they were worgens)... afterwards they thanked me for being a reasonable and communicative stealth character... that raised my confidence a bit, haha! Did not think of remote contraptions... though... mm..

For the emote bit, I think I grasped the concept and I already try to emote as many actions, gestures and emotions as possible and develop the emote text with an interesting content rather than simply "notices you" if enough time is given.

Remove clothes.. dance on the table.. scream "my people need me" and fly into the sky? As funny as it may sound, it is not...
Sadly, I have witnessed such a thing already few days ago... it can indeed disrupt the atmoshpere and the fact you cant do anything about it is frustrating... I would never step so low .. ew...

Yes, realism is my middle name.. heh heh I try to keep these things in mind and hope to improve further upon them. I am roleplaying worgen in the human form most of the time (oc related) but here on forum i couldnt pick worgen... only human...
Nameplates, Guildplates, Classes and profiles were naturally not considered an IC source of information. I like to read through them and all, but even more like to inquire about it IC.

I have also written backstory of my character, offering somewhat detailed history.. but I'm afraid it is too long for people to stay interested in reading through wholy. It is indeed longer than TRP desc allows you to put in... so I have linked it externally and also posted it here under Population-Worgen-Feral Hermit

For the digital painting matter... I could post few of my bits here, thanks for suggestion. Im not too sure about my skill, but I shall let people decide my worth.

Alas, end of my seemingly endless text.

Roleplaying... is indeed beautiful. And it may take your sleep and rest.  Entirely...

Im not even funny anymore, haha... well...

Liræi Roden

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top