Flintlocks in RP

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flintlocks in RP

Post by Tobias Redeye on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:08 am

After coming back to RP and the whole game itself I've noticed a new trend among the RP now, and that is - Flintlocks.

I'm quite skeptic whether they actually exist in lore (keep in mind, that a blunderbuss rifle and a flintlock are two completely different things) but let's say they do or even if they're not, how hard would it be to come across one? Because from what I've seen, it's being carried around by all sorts of people - from poor thieves, to citizens, to soldiers.

Let's say they are being openly handed around the street or quite cheap on a market, which is fine IF they were used realisticly and people realised that a flintlock, infact, is a pretty bad weapon. Scratch that, it's a horrible weapon. The accuracy of a flintlock is absolutely horrendus, the chance of a misfire due to the flaws of gunpowder used in those times is pretty high. Eh I'll just put up a list:

1. Absolutely horrible accuracy
2. Chance of misfire due to bad gunpowder - either bad quality itself, moist air or a cheap flintlock. Chances of it happening is HIGH and not really considered bad luck.
3. Accidental firing - I'm looking at you *Walks around with 4 lock & loaded flintlocks* - if you're doing that, you can also add another mishap and that is due to unstable bouncing of the flintlock back and forth while you do your tough guy walk, the gunpowder and the "bullet" in your flintlock might end up in places where it is not intended - resulting in either a misfire or nothing happening at all when you pull the trigger.

Last but not least. GUN LOADING!

Unless your flintlock has been loaded a long time ago (which is a horrible idea), the proccess of loading it with gunpowder and a bullet takes quite a lot of time, especially for someone not trained in handling firearms (looking at those who just happened to find the flintlock on the floor and claimed it for themselves).

Right, you got that first shot. Now you have to reload (Joy, eh?). By all means, you're quite welcome to emote *Empties his bag of gunpowder, stuffs it inside the barrel, puts the bullet inside and shoots* But if you do that, don't forget to include in your emote about how your character waves his hands about in agonizing pain as the flintlock explodes in his hand. After firing the flintlock, the remaining fragments of the gunpowder STILL remain inside of the barrel. Half burned gunpowder which would be stuffing the barrel of your precious, sophisticated little murdering device, causing it to explode in your hands. Or if extremely lucky, just witnessing something similar to a fart as you pull the trigger.

Right, I'm not the one to tell people how to play their game and roleplay, consider the above as some sort of guideline to perhaps make the thing a bit more interesting and fair.

Now, assuming you go all like "NO MY FLINTLOCK IS CUSTOM MADE AND BETTER THAN THAT" or "Who are you to tell me how to RP?" or "deal with it", I'd like to ask for an advice from you, on how to handle an emote fight when the flintlock is in the hands of the enemy. My character has been shot multiple times already, and that's saying a lot because I *try* to avoid emote fights all-together.

How can I possibly type out an reply to an emote such as this *Aims the flintlock directly at Furenia and fires* Worgen are fast but not fast enough to dodge an already fired bullet. I can't stop the bullet mid-air either. Thankfully no one went for a headshot yet but being shot in either part of the body is still a crippling wound with one you pretty much lose already, unless you've got the magic power juice.

And a final note, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, this is general talk.


Tobias Redeye

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Amaryl on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:13 am

/GUNSHOT

PS: WoW contains laserguns, gattlingguns, rifles, gunbows, swordbows, gunswordbows, and laser-sight guns, just look at the ridiculous hunter weapons that are around. Your point shouldn't be about tech levels of guns. Your point should be about how /gunshot is boring, but that's a discussion that has already been had multiple times and wont change.

Amaryl

Posts : 2876
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 28
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Ixirar/Kavalis on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey guys, stop using flintlockes, they don't exist in this timeframe.


Advice for when you RP with people who for some reason you can't reason with ("I'd like to avoid this scenario" etc) is not to RP with people who for some reason you can't reason with.


Last edited by Ixirar/Kavalis on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Ixirar/Kavalis

Posts : 2602
Join date : 2010-02-27
Age : 23
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Tobias Redeye on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:37 am

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hey guys, stop using flintlockes, they don't exist in this timeframe.

that's not even a flintlock, that's a ...something

Tobias Redeye

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Ixirar/Kavalis on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:41 am

I'm saying who the fuck cares if there's a flintlocke in the game look at what kind of guns we have available for us flintlockes are a drop in the ocean. There's sophisticated sniper rifles and lazer guns. There's guns that fire spears and bombs. Flintlockes don't matter and people should stop fussing about them.

Ixirar/Kavalis

Posts : 2602
Join date : 2010-02-27
Age : 23
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Tobias Redeye on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:47 am

I agree with you two, and you do have a point about how many odd high-tec weaponry is already actually avaliable in game, however, a flintlock is still a flintlock. Those who I saw using them were not using advanced high-tec laser or crystal firing flintlocks. No, they put quite a lot of emphasis on that old school thing which also happens to have the dreadful flaws as I stated above.

Keep your flintlocks but atleast make it work like a flintlock and NOT a 9mm handgun.

You said this has been discussed several times, my apologies, I'm new to this community - You can lock the thread if you want.

Tobias Redeye

Posts : 101
Join date : 2015-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Skaraa on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:07 am

As a rogue/mage/druid/occasional DK, I avoid guns and ranged weaponry in general.

However, if we're talking about technology in WoW, it is incredibly hard to put a figure on the level of tech available. If you're a Draenei you have access to ancient Eredar and Naaru futuristic/sci-fi tech. If you're a Gnome you have planes, 'radiation' guns, and all kinds of modern/future gear (holograms and so on). As a Dwarf you have rifles/shotguns. As an Iron Horde you have seemingly modern sniper rifles.
It all gets very confusing, and I prefer not to think too much about it all.

As for specific weapons; if you have a flintlocke, look up flintlockes on (it hurts my sensibilities to say) Wikipedia if nothing else. Everything has weaknesses, everything has strengths. We all need to look things up before we start RPing them whether it is lore or IRL history/info from Wikipedia.

I shall not take one side or another here (though the debate is friendly and polite). I merely state in comment that a couple minutes of reading things, and restricting your character accordingly, saves trouble later.

Having flaws and weaknesses (in yourself and your equipment), and recognising that, is a virtue IRL as well as in roleplay. ^^

Skaraa

Posts : 236
Join date : 2012-04-30
Age : 24
Location : Portsmouth, England

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Amaryl on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:17 am

Furenia Krast wrote:I agree with you two, and you do have a point about how many odd high-tec weaponry is already actually avaliable in game, however, a flintlock is still a flintlock. Those who I saw using them were not using advanced high-tec laser or crystal firing flintlocks. No, they put quite a lot of emphasis on that old school thing which also happens to have the dreadful flaws as I stated above.

Keep your flintlocks but atleast make it work like a flintlock and NOT a 9mm handgun.

You said this has been discussed several times, my apologies, I'm new to this community - You can lock the thread if you want.

No need to apologize!

Amaryl

Posts : 2876
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 28
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Feral / Blackfall on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:57 am

I've seen it RP'd really well. Anyone who whips out a loaded gun is doing it wrong no matter what gun they're pretending to use.

But there's people who've rp'd one-shot guns, /roll for misfires/blowing up in hands (and actually follow through), tend to miss with the weapon, etc. It's pretty cool & fun if done right, imo.

(As an edit, any projectile weapon can be done wrong. I think if someone is emoting *points weapon and shoots* they should be rolling for missing, beforehand, on their own, and emoting if it misses/misfires. Beyond that you have every right to just emote, /e widens eyes, jerking to one side, taking the bullet in arm/stumbling as the bullet misses, etc)


Last edited by Feral / Blackfall on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Feral / Blackfall

Posts : 575
Join date : 2010-06-05
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Since when has it been a new trend. It's been going since launch.

Swan Emperor Arenfel

Posts : 679
Join date : 2010-01-30
Age : 23

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Anivitas on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Nah, there was a time when it was largely frowned upon to use guns. Long time ago though, and never really got it myself.

It's like anything, RP'ed well/RP'ed badly is the problem, not the guns itself.

Anivitas

Posts : 642
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 23
Location : London

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Littlepip on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Hm, perhaps I should take the loaded Flintlock out of Bavragors beard..

_____________________________________________________
[A](Littlepip)Littlepip {Azure Flame} An elven mage under the tutelage of Skarain.
[A](Ploppy)Bavragor Stormbrew {Mountaineer} Deceased.
[H](Ríno)Rino Peddlebuttons {Flying Bolts} A cliché Goblin.
Distracting Image:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"We don’t always get what we want. Even when we deserve it."

- Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizon. Blackjack.

Littlepip

Posts : 1373
Join date : 2013-02-11
Age : 20
Location : Norway, Sør-Trøndelag, Rissa komune.

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Rashka on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:54 pm

I think most of these people you've seen using flintlocks, whom have done it completely wrong, are just new to RP, or just haven't thought about it, because if all the cool kids (no offense) can use one, but properly, then why wouldn't they be able to?
P.S I approve of your post. Being shot like that sucks, I'm not 100% sure about what you -can- do to avoid it, but if they had gone for a headshot you always have the rights to whisper them and tell them that you do not wish your char dead. It may greatly upset them since they probably have visions of their character in their head being god-like, but they'll have to live with it.

Rashka

Posts : 589
Join date : 2012-08-04
Age : 18
Location : Denmark

Character sheet
Name: Rashka Facebreaker
Title: Champion of Blood, Champion of the Red Blades, & Former Champion of the Horde.

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Odgan / Keag on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:24 am

Not only laserguns but the old-fashioned flintlockes do exist in WoW lore too, this guy even duelwields them: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And a RPG hero class that is partly based on them, but non-canon now: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I believe the main issue is that people are simply uninformed about they work, because as you say they have a lot of flaws. Back in the day I also had some characters who used them and walked around loaded with them, until I once opened a wikipedia page about flintlockes and went "..Oops".

Odgan / Keag

Posts : 254
Join date : 2010-06-02
Age : 22
Location : Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Character sheet
Name: Ildranor Strongbrew
Title: Mountaineer-Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Vaell on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:39 am

WoW works differently to our world. It's more advanced in a lot of respects. They can heal nearly any illness, teleport to different continents (and worlds) and travel between distant worlds in super huge spaceships. You could explain the flaws of a flintlock away with magic or Gnomish design. The reason people use Flintlocks is because they're cool. Playing a pirate? Flintlocks are badass.

I've fired a flintlock irl and it wasn't as disruptive as you say. It can be annoying in rainy weather, but they're pretty efficient and it wasn't exactly slow to reload. The only thing that I found out when using one is that they sound shit. There's no cloud of smoke, no echoing shot and no splintering wood from the place you fire it into. There's a slightly loud thud.

Vaell

Posts : 2903
Join date : 2012-01-22
Age : 24

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Amaryl on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:45 am

Pesonally my favourite way to counter flintlocks shot at your head is something like this:

/e gasps as he/she hears the shot, luckily the smoothbore send the bullet wide, missing her/him by a mile.


Amaryl

Posts : 2876
Join date : 2010-08-25
Age : 28
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Iriel Silversong on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:26 am

I dont see a problem with flintlocks in wow... considering theres riffles...

Iriel Silversong

Posts : 584
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 25
Location : Look around you!

Character sheet
Name: Iriel
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:28 am

I've never personally RPed using a gun myself, but I use plenty of bow. I know Flintlocks have faults, but as long as people respect that you don't do killshots without permission, and don't shoot them like they were assault rifles, I don't mind it much.

Thondalar Stormleaf

Posts : 777
Join date : 2012-05-14
Age : 29
Location : Manningtree, England

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Lyniath on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:41 am

You know, I can't recall ever RPing with someone using a gun.

Lyniath

Posts : 2552
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 22
Location : Dundee

Character sheet
Name: Lynne Aeson
Title: Nomadic Cleric / Sorceress

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Arabella Greene on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:40 pm

I REALLY dislike guns in RP and yet feel like I have no choice but to just "deal with it."

Arabella Greene

Posts : 848
Join date : 2012-04-12
Age : 23
Location : England

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Iriel Silversong on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:44 pm

Arabella Greene wrote:I REALLY dislike guns in RP and yet feel like I have no choice but to just "deal with it."
there's guns hunters had shooting weapons !!

Iriel Silversong

Posts : 584
Join date : 2012-02-02
Age : 25
Location : Look around you!

Character sheet
Name: Iriel
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Officer High Morale on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:34 am

Arabella Greene wrote:I REALLY dislike guns in RP and yet feel like I have no choice but to just "deal with it."

Same.

I personally feel like guns ruin RP, cause they're so OP, but there's no reason not to have a gun in RP for a lot of people, so. :dd

Officer High Morale

Posts : 625
Join date : 2013-11-14
Location : Finland

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Lexgrad on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Officer High Morale wrote:
Arabella Greene wrote:I REALLY dislike guns in RP and yet feel like I have no choice but to just "deal with it."

Same.

I personally feel like guns ruin RP, cause they're so OP, but there's no reason not to have a gun in RP for a lot of people, so. :dd

The Guns hurt everyone. But it hurts bullets most of all. #justice4projectiles

Lexgrad

Posts : 6140
Join date : 2011-03-12
Age : 34

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Anivitas on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:02 pm

The guns don't control the RP, it's the people that use them.

I used to carry a gun when I played Belse, because their was absolutely no reason for him not to, and it suited his personality.

Shoot them and get it over with minimal effort.

However 99% of the time, I'd have time for one shot, I'd emote shooting and just let them decide what happened. It'd mostly miss or feed Belse apparent hatred for shoulder guards, and alert people of the fight. But that's fine, it's all part of the RP and it just carries on from there.

As I said before, guns are no real issue. If there is an issue with guns it's often the person wielding them that's the problem.

Anivitas

Posts : 642
Join date : 2012-07-22
Age : 23
Location : London

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Vaell on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:08 am

Magic is more OP than guns. In fact, Hunters in WoW use magic with their guns to compete. Guns are fine!

Vaell

Posts : 2903
Join date : 2012-01-22
Age : 24

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Flintlocks in RP

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:57 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum