Relics and artifacts

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Relics and artifacts

Post by Tnecniw on Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:40 am

I have a question. How viable is the discovery of powerfull artifacts that increase your power or the like in RP? I understand if you can't go TOO far, but is that a vviable RP point and how FAR can you actually go with it

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Relics and artifacts

Post by Sadok on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:01 am

Orcs of the Red Blade have occasionally used relics as MacGuffins (see: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for the best explanation you'll get on the web), so there's an appropriate plot-device to drive a storyline forward where necessary -- for instance, a couple of years ago we went roaming around South Kalimdor in search of the Scepter of the Shaman-King, a powerful relic of Clan Redblade's past that had purportedly fallen into the hands of the Twilight's Hammer.

In line with the above definition of a MacGuffin, the item itself had next to no relevance once we actually found it -- we've never actually used it at any point, but have rather been safeguarding it against falling into the hands of evil once more. All the same, it was an enjoyable means to an end, creating a lot of RP in the process -- and it's a fresh concept as long as you don't abuse it too often.

As for actually using said items in RP, magically-enchanted weapons and armor do exist in my particular RP headcanon -- in the Azerothian setting, having a magical sword that increases your accuracy (or a nipple-ring that increases your intellect... don't ask) is just fine and dandy as long as it's not taken to its extreme of everyone wandering around with every piece of armor boosting some attribute, until they're walking Supermen.

Much as with most things in WoW RP, it's best to use an artifact in moderation and with a view to not doing it for character-power alone, but generating RP and content in the discovery and usage of the item in question.

Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:06 am

Well, I kinda had the idea of a ice mage finding some kind of artifact... using it for her own goals but then finding she can't controll it fuly... or that it has some kind of "sentience" that tries to controll her ECT

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinoi on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:42 am

I think Artifacts, when used within boundaries can be great fun. As both Sadok and yourself said, you have to be careful not to go overboard with them. But beyond that, magical items are a vital part of the World of Warcraft lore and experience. Who doesn't know Frostmourne or the Dragon Soul? Now, as roleplayers we can't go that far with such things. But what you describe is certainly possible.

If you have the time, check out this thread on the Band of the Brave's forum, where some of our members elaborate what artifacts and items they carry with them;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Rinoi

Character sheet
Name: Rinoi Du'nai
Title: The Chief

http://bandofthebrave.host-power.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:51 pm

It's completely up to the individual, but my personal rule of thumb is: If your character possesses an artifact for no other reason than prestige, and it has no impact beyond making your character "stronger" against some kind of invisible power curve, don't do it.

Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 pm

But, still. The main reason I am asking is that I am unsure how "powerful" this artifact are allowed to be. I thought it mainly would increase my ice Mage (or cryomancers) power. But I am unsure HOW MUCH is allowed really

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigs Morgan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:38 pm

It can be as powerful as you want it to be. Its your character.

Brigs Morgan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigs Morgan on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 pm

Swan Emperor Arenfel wrote:It's completely up to the individual, but my personal rule of thumb is: If your character possesses an artifact for no other reason than prestige, and it has no impact beyond making your character "stronger" against some kind of invisible power curve, don't do it.

Actually ill just second what my dearest arenfel said.

Brigs Morgan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:30 am

I've used artefacts as plot devices a few of times. Normally as a weapon against some kind of recurring villian or as something to fight over in RP-PvP. What happens to the item after the RP depends entirely on you and the people you are playing with. I've left the weapons as an item for players to keep; a weapon with a story behind it which was only really 'op' against the thing it was designed to kill. Others have been sealed in vaults or destroyed.

Enchantments I believe should only be used to enhance RP in a similar way - in that it has to make sense for your character and you should go through the laborous task of getting it enhanted IC - generating RP for you and the enchanter (and anyone else you task with finding mats).
I once enchanted the sword of a friend with the Holy Light; the character in question had been influenced to become very religious by several events and was considering attempting to train as a Paladin. Sure the sword now damages undead and demons alittle more, but the RP was good and the added damage output is very specific.

I don't actually think any of my toons (other than my DK) have anything enchanted. It's just never really occured to me that I should apply them IC because the measure of 'power' IC is very different in my eyes. (Outside of being a DK, anyone can stab you and it is going to hurt and potentially could kill you).
The Theatre of Blood use enchanted coins to summon an arcane familiar which can pass notes (IC mail) and very occasionally is used in personal guild RP for portals (if there is no mage present and the story calls for one) but as for making a character 'more powerful', it has just never really appealed nor made sense to me.

I think it should all be about RP and enhancing RP, for everyone. Using a magic ring that makes you 100% undetectable does nothing but subtract, in my eyes.

Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:46 am

I mainly think it would act something like this (it is just a plan that MIGHT happen if something else goes horribly wrong). Basicly my ice mage (is actually just an apprentice) is actually in love with her teacher. And soo far... has he answered her feelings. IF that would go bad, she will be heartbroken. If that happens I have thought of RPing that she attempts to teleport away but fails and instead appears in the wrong location (probably somewhere in northrend) and discovers said artifact. the artifact shows her a way to get back on her lost love and more... she uses said artifact but is unable to controll it... and then it goes up as it goes. (probably something like either it possess her or manipulates her... or just become something like the frozen throne did to arthas.) I personally think that is a good option for when an artifact could viably increase power to make RP more interesting.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skaraa on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 am

Comparing it to the Frozen Throne and the storyline of Frostmourne instantly rings alarm bells for me.
Also increasing her power is alittle vague. What does it actually do?

If you are set on this, I think you first need to have a serious think about what the artefact is and what it actually does. Take a browse at the stuff here for inspiration:

I advise against looking at the section marked 'Artefacts' those items are overpowered and wouldn't be viable to RP in the WoW setting; whilst alot of magic lore in WoW came from 3.5 D&D-like rules, you can't just copy and paste stuff across. The RP in D&D is very different, your character is generally supposed to be a unqiue hero unlike anyone else (in the default style of campaign).

Figure out what your magic item actually does before you do anything else. Figure out its strengths and weaknesses. What are its limits? What is it good at? Can it be destroyed with an axe? What does it look like?

At the moment your concept is simply too vague to comment upon in a meaningful way. I hope that comes across as constructively as it was meant. Smile

Skaraa

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:30 am

Skaraa wrote:Comparing it to the Frozen Throne and the storyline of Frostmourne instantly rings alarm bells for me.
Also increasing her power is alittle vague. What does it actually do?

If you are set on this, I think you first need to have a serious think about what the artefact is and what it actually does. Take a browse at the stuff here for inspiration:

I advise against looking at the section marked 'Artefacts' those items are overpowered and wouldn't be viable to RP in the WoW setting; whilst alot of magic lore in WoW came from 3.5 D&D-like rules, you can't just copy and paste stuff across. The RP in D&D is very different, your character is generally supposed to be a unqiue hero unlike anyone else (in the default style of campaign).

Figure out what your magic item actually does before you do anything else. Figure out its strengths and weaknesses. What are its limits? What is it good at? Can it be destroyed with an axe? What does it look like?

At the moment your concept is simply too vague to comment upon in a meaningful way. I hope that comes across as constructively as it was meant. Smile
Of course. What I meant with like The frozen throne was the possession part. But no matter. Well, I mostly imagine the enchanted item would simply act like a... "guide". She wants to summon a massive living snow golem? It gives her the mental instructions and lends her the mana to do so. (with mental instructions I mean that she SUDDENLY knows how to do that but as soon as she drops the item in question she don't know anymore). BUT... the item tries to take controll over her and the whole thing will end with that she can't controll it.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:02 am

For its strengths and weaknesses? Well, I have thought of some kind of... Head piece or something, depends on what I can find on mogit. (Thre crown you get from the end boss of Throne of thunder would have worked if it wheren't mail) . It would be a powerful artifact but it can't do a THING without a host and the host needs to be relatively weak (like for example an apprentice). It is all a matter of will. The artifact itself can't take too much. It is a magical thing and not meant to meet the touch of a mace / hammer / axe. With other words: easy to crush.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:24 am

Artifacts are great. They can be as powerful, as corrupting or as awesome as you want them to be.

There is however one caveat: When you're in RP and or into conflict with RP, that being in possession of the artifact removes Drama from an event. As in Artistic drama, not regular drama. I.E: rule of Cool.

As in: Oh you guys spend three months chasing this demon? For whatever personal reason, let me just use this device here and kill it without problem. There you go, you may now thank me.

Edit: The way you can look at things like this though is - Hey - summoning demons is an acceptable skill in WoW. This artifact lets my warrior do this and exert control over them.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:27 am

Of course, to make something less exciting cue to artifacts or making something too boring is not a good artifact. What I am aiming for is to create a new potential villain for future Rp Very Happy (if the RP now goes like that)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:23 am

Does my artifact so far make... "sense"? I don't want to do it wrong really.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:02 pm

Do what wrong?

Again. You just need to go out and actually try these things in-game, and if you feel like things aren't going the way you want, ask for feedback. Making a new thread each time you want attention for a particular project will only slow you down.

And I'm very unclear as to what this "artifact" does beyond it being a crown.

Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm

It would act as a guide. A help, lending both knowledge and mana enough to create amazingly powerful spells. Itself though, contains a kind of sentience, with if the person wearing it is too weak, the crown will kind of take control, trying to gain more influence and power.

So it is basicly a artifact that would turn a Mage much more powerful, but with a risk.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Personally I'd say remove the mana component. Since one of the great aspects of (imo) WoW magic is that it (supposedly in older lore) exhausts the user greatly etc.
Having an item that helps with both that and giving knowledge feels very, very, powerful.

Just having a magical mentor is already great and can add tons to RP if used well. The mana bit would mostly just annoy people.

Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Hmm, true. What if I increased the mana but didn't give all?

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Tnecniw wrote:It would act as a guide. A help, lending both knowledge and mana enough to create amazingly powerful spells. Itself though, contains a kind of sentience, with if the person wearing it is too weak, the crown will kind of take control, trying to gain more influence and power. .

I believe that there is one of those already.:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:22 pm

And what would that be Helmut?

Tnecniw