Newbie looking for help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie looking for help

Post by Achata on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Hello everyone Smile

I kind of ended up on this server by coincidence, but now that I've been reading up on the concept - I'm really curious about trying out roleplaying. It seems like a lot of fun! I have, as I mentioned, been reading alot - both on this forum and the wow forums, and I think I'm starting to get the hang on how this works, and the big no-no's of roleplaying but I still have some questions I was hoping you might want to help me with.

First of all - I am currently studying, and I share my account with my boyfriend. (unfortunately he's more into raiding than roleplaying so no help from that end.) but this also means I can only play odd hours, daytime. My first question is thusly - is there any point in me trying to find people to roleplay with these hours? Or does everyone have regular jobs and play mostly in the evening. I would love to join a roleplay guild. (if there are any that accepts newcomers ofcourse.) The one I am currently in for questing perks is kind of quiet during the days even though there's a lot of members in it which is a bit boring.

Secondly, the lore! It is soooo much to learn and I'm worried I will mess things up and go around annoying everyone. It's come to the point where I was almost planning to have my character hit her head and suffer from amnesia or something and just make up her history as I go along and learn from other players. I realize this might make my character a bit "flat", but I don't know what's worse - messing up the lore or having a boring character Razz Maybe there is someone out there needing a student of sorts? I am a nice enough person and I am not sensitive with criticism! Wink

Well, any advice/criticism/answers/anything along those lines is more than welcome! And I am really looking forward to getting to know the roleplaying society of Defias Brotherhood.

Thanks for your time!

Achata

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie looking for help

Post by Charlie Blazesong on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:59 pm

You don't really have to worry too much about messing lore up. People will usually correct you. As for your first question, most people are rping in the evening on this realm, so your daytime schedule might be a problem due to this. You might get lucky and see someone though. If you're looking for some place with rp all the day around I'd point you to AD allthough the quality of the Stormwind rp there might be lacking.
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name: Thurman Agamand
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by nope on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:20 pm

I find Gilneas Platoon has members that are online in...early morning hours? In the weekend at least.

And the amnesia thing is pretty plausible if you go with a Forsaken, though that limits you to Horde. Undeath does shit to a person. Sometimes searching for race rp guides helps me figure out where the hell my characters' been/what they've done.
nope

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:45 pm

What Charlie said in regarding when people are roleplaying. Those who have time during the day are a minority and i for one are not sure where to find said minority of DB.

Don't worry about messing up with lore. A better solution to Amnesia is to conjure another reason to not be very aware of the happenings of the world... like a Dwarf who have never left Ironforge, or a farmer from Westfall, or whatever you decide to go with. More character growth space anyhow from the more simple concept you start from.

Contact: Skarain#2346(Btag), Skarain#8885(Discord), inejaro(Skype)

Help the appearance of the server: Report player/pet/guild names.

Forum Moderator: Contact in regarding questions or issues with the forum.

"Roleplaying....is beautiful. And it may take your heart and soul. Entirely..."
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Independent Arcanist

Back to top Go down

Post by Achata on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Oh wow, thanks for all the replies guys! Well, I figured the time issue would be a problem, that's really a shame but maybe I can do something about it. Boyfriend doesn't have to raid every single night afterall.

And thanks for the tips about my character, if it helps knowing I have a worgen. I suppose that makes history a little trickier Smile

I will try to look up this Gilneas Platoon and ask Very Happy

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help!

Achata

Back to top Go down

Post by NicholasBullard (Taph) on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:10 pm

Hello Achata, welcome to our little community! Very Happy

I'm glad to hear you've stumbled upon us and got curious. Seeing as how you've been reading up on how we do things, I think you'll easily find your way around. Most roleplayers are fairly glad to help out new people, and of course your willingness to learn will be helpful in that. With regards to lore, I am with Charlie there.

About the odd hours: I think Stormwind will be the place you will want to center your roleplay at. More exotic locations tend to be visited either in Guild RP or in events, which are unfortunately usually scheduled for the evenings. However, there is still daytime RP to be found! I myself am interested in that as well.

You might want to contact people to set this up, rather than depending on "I want to run into people spontaneously". An easy way to do this is to always be in the general roleplaying chat channel: /join LFRP. Through the Social menu you can see who is in there, and you'll be able to post a message to inform other roleplayers that you're looking for some roleplay.

Achata wrote:I would love to join a roleplay guild. (if there are any that accepts newcomers ofcourse.)

Good news: virtually all roleplay guilds are welcoming to newcomers.

Achata wrote:Maybe there is someone out there needing a student of sorts?

Rolling Eyes My main character is usually very keen on being helpful! She serves in the Platoon that nope mentioned above.

Wrapping up, again welcome to the realm Achata and I hope you'll feel right at home with us. I've kept it rather short here, so if there is anything else you'd be interested in talking about with me, feel free to contact me privately. I can be found on skype on the username nickbullarddfb, in-game on Taph-Ravenholdt, and here on the forums through personal message.

Happy roleplaying,
Nick
NicholasBullard (Taph)

Character sheet
Name: Taph Gibson
Title: Captain of the Gilneas Platoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Achata on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:44 am

Hello Nick, and thank you for your offer, I will definately contact you next time I play Very Happy

Achata

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:58 am

I'd also recommend checking out the registry section of the forums and checking out all the guilds on offer, incase one of them catches your eye and you decide to make an alt.
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:34 am

You only realistically have to know enough Lore for how much your character has experienced / known of In Character.
Like, say, my char is from Lordaeron, so I need to know the Warcraft 3 stuff related to that, but do I need to know about the dragonflights, or Pandaria, or the varied Troll tribes? God no.
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name: Lynne Aeson
Title: Nomadic Cleric / Sorceress

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top