Sha and Undead.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sha and Undead.

Post by Fenrisir on Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Undead are immune to Old Gods corruption. Check.
Yoggy(Old God) hates the Scourge/Undead for the reason stated above. Check.
Sha are creations of Y'Shaarj (Old God). Check.
Sha are the manifestation of negative energy. Check.
Undead do have negative emotions. Check.

Undead are supposed to be immune to Old Gods corruptions; yet they can be corrupted by Sha, because they possess negative emotions. (???)

I have been searching a valid blizzard post for past few days yet I haven't found anything solid. I'm totally confused and have no idea on how to RP my undead character in case it encounters Sha.

Will be grateful to those who would enlighten me on this lore/mechanics clusterfuck.

Last edited by Fenrisir on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fenrisir

Back to top Go down

Re: Sha and Undead.

Post by Rmuffn on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Might be wrong, but the sha are just a type of unintended offspring of an old god, and their "magical" effects aren't necessarily the corruption of an old god. Could be wrong.

Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenrisir on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:54 pm

That's a good point which also came to my mind. But I think it's more likely that Y'shaarj gave its last breath as a curse upon the land, intentionally.

Fenrisir

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:45 am

The only form of undead encountered in Pandaria have been vengeful spirits, so having living people die and later return as Sha-touched spirits is confirmed (http://wowpedia.org/Quest:Spiteful_Spirits).

As for Undead in general, do mind, the example i told you IC was a player character, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Each of us do have our own ways to interpret lore, and since there are no say that undead can not be corrupted by Sha, many players might have wanted to go with it, rather than to be immune to a major RP tool in Pandaria.

Only "lore" we do have is that the Player Character can be inflicted by Sha, in case of a Death Knight being affected by such abilities in Raids, but i doubt such can be taken as cannon, since Death Knights are considered "humanoids" rather than "undead" by game mechanics.

Izaa do have a good point: "The Titans slew Y'Shaarj, but with his dying breath he cursed Pandaria by infesting it with "shadows of his former self," the Sha." (also found at Wowpedia). It is a spawn of a dead god, not the intentional effect by a living...Old God. It may work separately because of that.... or then it won't. It's sure a question that we are unlikely to get answer from Blizzard.

In the end, with all the unclear lore, it falls upon the players to decide whether their character would be affected or not. Some might be just as emotionally blank that it does have no effect, while other might turn into a Sha the first step they take on Pandaria.

Contact: Skarain#2346(Btag), Skarain#8885(Discord), inejaro(Skype)

Help the appearance of the server: Report player/pet/guild names.

Forum Moderator: Contact in regarding questions or issues with the forum.

"Roleplaying....is beautiful. And it may take your heart and soul. Entirely..."

Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:59 am

Undead are not immune to Old God corruption by merit of being undead (at least there's nothing I can recall reading that has specifically said this). They were immune to saronite corruption in light of having no wills of their own (either mindless or subsumed by the will of the Lich King). Even then, quests do show that the undead still don't like working with saronite, as evidenced in the quest The Search for Slinkin where it is remarked, "There is much banter. The language of death confounds me, but I have been able to identify commonly uttered sounds and phrases. The word "Yogg-Saron" is said with great contempt and is usually followed by loud outbursts. They refer to the ore as "saronite."" Additionally and even more clearly, in Edge of Night it is established that saronite, the hardened blood of an Old God, will obliterate the soul of even an undead creature (thus why Sylvanas wanted to impale herself on it to suicide).

There's also the fact that in gameplay you still get the whispers of Old Gods, same as any living character, and are also influenced by the sha and similar magical mental coercion effects. I would say that the effect of Old God corruption on undead might be better explained as resistance (rather than immunity), which is typically the safest way to play these kind of unclear areas. As with many things in WoW lore, the lack of hard answers by Blizzard mean that the player is free to take initiative on how they want to play these aspects of the universe.

For me, personally, I RPed being affected by Sha on my undead. It is such a key part of Pandaria that ignoring it would have severely diminished the experience.

[H] Atsenkha - Former Kor'kron, Red Blade Tribesorc

"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself... In all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

—The Iron Law of Bureaucracy

Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 am

Do you want to be immune?

Then you're immune.

Do you want to be afflicted?

Then you're not.