Lieb Temponaut, Time Traveller!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lieb Temponaut, Time Traveller!

Post by Cadaemus on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A flickering light struggled to illuminate its dank surroundings, a small shed that was encumbered with half-finished inventions, faded blueprints and rotten dinners. In one corner, a lonely, red-headed gnome rubbed his eyes and TINKERED, playing around with otherwise useless pieces of metal and string, striking them together in the vain hope that they'd reinvent themselves into something amazing. A small dragon turtle rested beside the gnome.

The broken, incomplete and useless inventions that littered the shed seemed to share a purpose, as they all looked similar in design. Watches and flux capacitors were strewn all across each invention, all gnomish in design. Presently the gnome started muttering.

" 'Leave the time-travel to the mages and the dragons', they said. I almost did, too. But i'm so close! If I re-arranged the structure of the being being moved, to be half the energy required, then I could-..."

One of the half-finished inventions started blinking, and it's container puffed out smoke. The gnome looked closer as there was an explosion of light and sound and a small dragon turtle, akin to the one resting its head bumbled out of the container. The gnome grinned madly as he he ran to the invention and began altering it. "By Nozdormu, I've done it! I just have to-.. re-arrange-.. this... And cut the red wire-.. " The machine seemingly ticked into sentience, and the gnome shrieked with delight. He grabbed the resting turtle and threw it into the machine. set the dial back to five minutes and pressed the big red button. Another flash of light and sound accompanied the turtle's disappearance, and the gnome was left with the other turtle, still grinning madly. "Now all that's left to do is to make it PORTABLE."

Lieb Temponaut rubbed his eyes and TINKERED.

[OOC]: I've been thinking about a concept like this for a while now, and props to Sanara for instilling in me the motivation to make it happen. Well, I wanted to ask you folks of Defias RP whether Lieb is viable as a character. He'd pop up in places, (perhaps coinciding with events) and would know things about events (Nothing RP ruining, and i'd check with the people involved if it'd be okay first!) or people that he wouldn't have known chronologically. Then I would RP him, later, popping up and finding this information out. I'd keep a notebook on hand to see what Lieb did, or didn't know, and I'd RP him finding out to not ruin continuity.

Do you guys think this'd be a cool idea, or do you think this would be too lore-breaking, or what-not. Or do you think I am a terrible writer? Let me know in your replies!

Ciao,

Cadaemus x

Cadaemus

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: Lieb Temponaut, Time Traveller!

Post by Adry on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:01 pm

It's certainly ambitious! But that's one thing I love about this server, how ambitious it can be.

I'd certainly love it if this were to take off and Lieb were to pop up at one or two little (well maybe not so little after the last one) events I have possibly planned.

The only concern is that a character like that can only be played on very few occasions for it to be feasible and practical.

Adry

Character sheet
Name: Lelitha Étoires
Title: Pretend-Champion of the Band of the Brave

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:13 pm

I personally hate and cringe at everything concerning time travel and dragon rp, due to how hard it is, and the dragons watching. But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadaemus on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:55 pm

Adry wrote:The only concern is that a character like that can only be played on very few occasions for it to be feasible and practical.

I see what you mean, if you're referring to the fact that Lieb should be in numerous other time periods, rather than just the specific one we play in. I feel that, with a little bit of gnomish flourish I could say something like "The time machine is localized to the time period it was made in, so he is more often travelling to that then other times"

Simaria wrote:I personally hate and cringe at everything concerning time travel and dragon rp, due to how hard it is, and the dragons watching. But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

I realise that this is the response quite a lot of people will have, and I hope that my RP doesn't detract from yours! I'm going to be a prick and play Lieb anyway though.  Cool 

Cadaemus

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Well, I would still interact with your char, but mine would prolly treat you as if you are loopy if they would say you were a time traveller.

Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Pffffh. What kind of an idiot comes up with a concept like this?

.. Oh, wait.

In all seriousness I didn't think anyone would ever actually roll with this madness, mainly because of what Adry said about it being a very incidental character. But then again, there's no harm in having an RP alt that only pops up during specific events anyway - and gnomes live to be many hundreds of years old, so him having many off-screen adventures but still staying a consistent age physically wouldn't be terribly out of place either. Then again, changing his hairstyle and color constantly might be fun too. One day he's really old, and the next he's just starting out his travels, young and with a head full of hair!

... Yeah as you can tell, I'm really excited about this concept. Couldn't be happier that someone else thought of the same thing!

Simaria wrote:I personally hate and cringe at everything concerning time travel and dragon rp, due to how hard it is, and the dragons watching. But whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

As far as we know time travel is easier now because, well, the Dragonflights lost a lot (if not all, it's kind of unclear) of their power and responsibilities because of that whole stupid Thrall-thing. At least I recall the NPCs on the Timeless Isle explained it like that.

Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 am

Could be amazing if you could pull it off. You could set some things up for the Band of the Brave, at least. Start small to give the idea a spin, then expand your character's reach.

You've got my support!

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:03 am

As Sanara said, the dragonflights seem to be out of the picture. That's probably one of the reasons Garrosh gets away with going back to create the Iron Horde.

I have already taken full advantage of this on Vaell, he thought he could learn time travel like any simple spell and ended up getting trapped for 10 years. It is a LOT of fun to role-play, just go for it.

Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar/Kavalis on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:22 am

Yeah, so long as you don't specifically pick the Caverns of Time (Read: Still populated by Bronze dragons. Probably won't like it if you take their cave to do this), they're pretty much out of the picture. In fact, I believe in one of the Dragon Soul aftermath novels, Nozdormu even states that the Bronze flight is no longer concerned with the timeways.

Ixirar/Kavalis

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 am

Poor dragons are out of a job.

Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 am

I think it sounds fun, and could have a lot of interesting interaction with even private guild DM events, just as a character turning up to interact on a hilarious level.

I foresee (har) a lot of "...Where did that gnome come from?"

Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 am

Just be careful with the "know things in advance" depending on how far into the future you're from a lot of stuff might not even exist anymore in stored documents.

And what's more, not to make statements about the future since none of us know what it'll look like.

Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Celeste/Ainathiela on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:01 am

I think mad and wacko statements of "this is going to happen to you" or "this is your future" are hillarious fun. If the lore we've been given on time travel, or the genre in general is that everything is constantly in flux in the future, a single incident could change the outcome of what will transpire. So your character could very well have seen a sequence of events that may probably never happen.

I think this kinda of RP is great, it lets you really be as creative as you want to be, and people ICly can dismiss it as you being a crazy person or you could develop something more plotish with it.

*Approval stamp*

Celeste/Ainathiela

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fyffe on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:40 am

That's odd. I don't remember that wooden shed being there before.

*shrugs*

Yes. Very ambitious. If you insist in making this, I think that the best way for this to work is to keep it very toned down. Considering your char has essentially created a mechanical (no need for ley-lines and surpasses anti-magic?) teleportation device that could revolutionize world travel, tactical warfare and commerce  (even by excluding the time-travel element)  and would immediately be set into use by the finest tinkering minds of the Alliance.
Realistically speaking, this is a concept purely for wacky shenanigans.  Wink 

"By Nozdormu"

Surely only someone who had an affinity or was associated with the dragonflight cultures would ever say this?

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Yeah, so long as you don't specifically pick the Caverns of Time (Read: Still populated by Bronze dragons. Probably won't like it if you take their cave to do this), they're pretty much out of the picture. In fact, I believe in one of the Dragon Soul aftermath novels, Nozdormu even states that the Bronze flight is no longer concerned with the timeways.

From what little I've seen of the Timeless Isle (please correct me here, since I've not played much of the zone) I thought they were still continuing their duties in protecting the timeways? Since they could no longer prevent (or actively block?) arcanists from practicing chronomancy, they decided to employ them instead of letting them run rampant with their newly viable school of magic. This way, both mortal parties could benefit from  new knowledge gained while still maintaining a responsible, controlled use of time magic in the world.

Fyffe

Character sheet
Name: "Fyffe the Confounder!!!"
Title: Lorescribe and Illusionist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:47 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top