The Next Xpac: Theorycraft, hoooo!

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Next Xpac: Theorycraft, hoooo!

Post by Zaraj on Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 am

Nathaniel Ashthorne wrote:One thing I find regrettable about the general WoW community is that in order for something to be cool, it has to be something that was refferenced in WC3 or WC2. I get the feeling that once all Warcraft RTS plotlines have been resolved, the game will lose all ability to keep these people satisfied. They don't want to play World of Warcraft, they want to play Warcraft 3 forever across multiple titles. Just because the race wasn't the main focus of the Orc Campaign in ROC, or that race was allied to the humans in TFT, doesn't mean that those two races need an entire expansion devoted to that.

Somehow, I think, given the general opinion that seems to exist within the WC3 veteran base, they'd rather devote an entire expansion to exploring the legacy of Garithos than they'd want to spend even a single patch exploring the legacy of that new continent that was just discovered. This is why TBC and WLK are the two best expansions. They contained the most WC3 lore out of all the Xpacs. Cataclysm was focused on Deathwing + a lot of original WoW lore that wasn't in WC3. Deathwing is only featured in Warcraft 2, with little to no reference to him in WC3. He's a second rate villain because he wasn't in that one game that ALL the vets played.

This isn't meant as a rant to insult anybody based on their taste in lore. I love WC3 too and getting to walk in the steps of all those heroes I came to love from the RTS, doing the Onyxia's Lair achievement and having Rexxar as my guide, putting the final strike on Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidan, Kel'Thuzad, Anub'rekhan, Anub'Arak, The Lich King. Getting to meet the spirit of Uther in the Halls of Reflection. I -loved- getting to help Thrall escape Durnholde, and purging Stratholme aside Arthas. I get where you're coming from. It feels so epic to finally get to resolve that plotline that was left unresolved in a prior game. To finally see it put to an end. It gives a sense of accomplishment that finally, after all that time, you get to watch that big bad guy draw his final breath.

So I get where you're coming from. I just still think it's rather sad that no lore can ever be cool if it isn't taken directly out of Warcraft 3.

I'm a Warcraft vet, and I'd probably say that Wrath of the Lich King was their worst expansion overall storywise. But at the same time, I somewhat agree. The lore from WC3 is probably what most people finds to be the most interesting. And my guess is that compared to WoW, Warcraft 3 had quite a good story (even though it's essentially a rehash of Starcraft) whereas WoW has to adhere to its formula as a MMO game, limiting the story significantly.

That said I think it comes down to that much of the new stuff is just not that interesting in terms of lore or story. In Vanilla, for instance, you actually had tons of really cool new lore. Shadowfang Keep, Defias Brotherhood, Scarlet Crusade, Ahn'Qiraj, Raze'likh, Duskwood, etc. The atmosphere of the game back then allowed for new lore to be digested with as much interest as the old WC3 lore. We were actually somewhat convinced that it was a story within WoW.

In new lore, much of that atmosphere, arguably due to people getting more experienced in how the game works etc, was lost and thus we didn't find the new lore that interesting. They had to rely on nostalgia of WC3 because they were unable to tell a good story within the actual game itself. People like Arthas/Illidan in WoW because their story in WC3 was interesting, whereas in WoW they did nothing or were portrayed almost comically.

I can't honestly say that the lore of Pandaria was any interesting at all (cept for maybe Sha and the Mantid), or the Draenei of BC or the Vrykul of Wrath etc, and unless they're somehow magically going to bring back atmosphere into the game, they're going to rely on nostalgia to make us care. Or if they go with something new, we won't care at all.

Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 am

No no, you don't care.

I've loved every scrap of new stuff that Pandaria's brough. I love that it actually brings something new to the table. Things we havn't seen before. Foes we havn't fought before.

Pandaria has felt like a breath of fresh air to me, a revitalization wow really really needed after Cataclysm.

It's been great for role-play as well. The sha offer a whole new enemy that can play a part in really tense and personal stories, without having to meddle with the bigger events that the "hero" deals with. The same can be said for the escalation of war. They're themes any character can interact with.

And as a total belf enthusiast, getting to see a whole lot new belfie things has been pretty great. What a Face

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket on Sun May 12, 2013 9:01 am

In the next expansion, the leper gas has spread to Stormwind and Orgrimmar, making the Humans green, and the orcs... GREENER (The horror!)

THen you have to fight Thermaplugg and his cities of evildoers and finally retake Gnomeregan, and make Gnomes the most populated race on Azeroth!

And all Draenei and Elves die.
and Sylvanas.

Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita on Sun May 12, 2013 9:57 am

aww what about poor monny? I thaught she was copper's well.. friend?

but yeah funny copper XD IM hoping for some majour draenei lore in this next expance

Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaraj on Sun May 12, 2013 12:23 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:No no, you don't care.

I've loved every scrap of new stuff that Pandaria's brough. I love that it actually brings something new to the table. Things we havn't seen before. Foes we havn't fought before.

Pandaria has felt like a breath of fresh air to me, a revitalization wow really really needed after Cataclysm.

om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Though it's a hindrance, the Pandaren language has not managed to ruin the entire expansion for me! Razz

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hermie on Sun May 12, 2013 3:17 pm

To be honest, in my opinion, MoP is one of the worst (well there has to be one) expansion so far. Too many quests, too many dailies and too much lore I can't get into. Granted, the new gear is pretty, and I loved the Mogu lore, but aside from that its been rather meh. That isn't to say that it can't all go uphill from here for me - maybe future patches will reignite my interest!

So, I'm desperate for a Legion expansion. Perhaps with a new outlandish world, mmyes. I'd love for there to be a zone like Vashj'ir again too, but this time Zinjatar and with Azshara with her own lore-abiding model!

And yes, not too fussed about another class, but a new neutral race or races that make sense (despite how much I want naga) would be lovely!

Last edited by Hermie on Mon May 13, 2013 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hermie

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad on Sun May 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Or..... Lich king 2, the return of the Lich.

Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:57 am

So, no posts were made to this after WoD was announced! Let's see...

• New playable races: Ogres and High Elves. Nope, but at least we get to kill ogres, if something!
  • A work-over of Burning Crusade content, meaning the outland zones and the Blood Elf and Draenei starting zones. Well...sort of?
  • Gameplay overhaul: Moving to a slotted ability system, removing clutter. No new class. I haven't followed general changes of the expansion too closely, if at all, but I think they are making things a bit more clear? No new class happened.
  • It's time for a new profession, but I have no idea what. None of that as of yet!
  • Finish the damn remakes of vanilla models already! Hoo-ray, it'll happen!

I guess we can then start speculating on the expansion after WoD, eh? I've really got no idea of what the continent could be...Argus/something with The Burning Legion? Though that has always seemed like the grande finale of WoW to me and I can't remember how many expansions they had planned on churning out still. Maybe we'll just finally break the fourth wall and cross-over to Diablo and Starcraft universe.

New playable races are the ones I'm always most interested in, but besides my obvious naga pick, I don't really have any realistic options in mind. Not for a class either...professions? Eh, something with music! Dyes and other cosmetics could be great as well, unless that would get handled by inscriptionists or transmog NPCs.

The Z

Character sheet
Name: Zobke, aka, Mr. Z
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradley on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:05 am

Coppersocket wrote: you have to fight Thermaplugg and his cities of evildoers and finally retake Gnomeregan, and make Gnomes the most populated race on Azeroth!

And all Draenei and Elves die..

I approve of and fully support this

Bradley

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 am

Hey, at least I was totally right on the revamping of outland thing. Went a little different then expected, but there you have it!

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rend. on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:10 am

*It's the dead of night, and a mugging is taking place down at the harbour. Their victim is unconscious and being looted of her valuables*

"H-Hey, did you hear that?"  "Hear what? It's just the wind, numbskull. Grab her necklace and let's geddoutta' here!"

*A dark silhouette rushes across the scene, barely noticed by the muggers*

"Joe, I -swear- there's s-something out there.." "Bill, I'm gonna punch your teeth ou-..."

"MUGHRHGHFHRGHHGL!?!!"

"OH SHIT, IT'S THE REGIMENT!"

*Suddenly, a horde of Murlocs wearing Regiment uniforms charge out from the bushes with make-shift spears painted blue & yellow and chase down the crooks*

---
I know it'd probably be terrible to introduce Murlocs as a playable race, but the childish part of me will always want to be running around the Westfall coast hunting crabs as a Murloc.

Rend.

Character sheet
Name: Rend
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:14 am

I'd actually love a possible third (neutral) faction consisting only of "odd and unusual" races, such as murlocs. I'd so call dibs on deep-sea murlocs with that lamp thingy.

The Z

Character sheet
Name: Zobke, aka, Mr. Z
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradley on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:15 am

Rend. wrote:"MUGHRHGHFHRGHHGL!?!!"

"OH SHIT, IT'S THE REGIMENT!"

Rofl, I forgot about this

I'm still down

Bradley

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 am

Murlocks becoming a playable race sooner or later feels like an inevitability. They're one of the Warcraft franchise's most iconic and unique creations.

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:24 am

If EverQuest could make frogloks playable, WoW can make murlocs playable.

[H] Atsenkha - Former Kor'kron, Red Blade Tribesorc

"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself... In all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

—The Iron Law of Bureaucracy

Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 am

The Z wrote:I'd actually love a possible third (neutral) faction consisting only of "odd and unusual" races, such as murlocs. I'd so call dibs on deep-sea murlocs with that lamp thingy.

Ethereals, Arakoa, Furbolg, and the like.

Tbh I just want to play a space mummy.

Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:06 am

GNOME HUNTERS!!!

Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:28 am

I think Dryads would be awesome as a playable race.

Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:31 am

I read Helmut's message wrong and read Gnome hunters, I instantly thought about a video..

Spoiler:

Distracting Image:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"We don’t always get what we want. Even when we deserve it."

- Fallout: Equestria - Project Horizon. Blackjack.

Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:09 am

New xpac: Warlords of.... your face!
Murlocs, Gnolls, Quillboars and Ogres unite, blow up half of the old world by killing Nzoth in their submarines, make the landmasses they blew up fly and make a new continent where their mages re-invent life, physics, technology and everything else in their own image as the continent hovers across the south seas, (where their leaders incidentally raid the sargeras themed stuff and steal his powah).

The Union is not generally playable, but you get lot of scenarios where you play through their stories as their leaders, and similiar raids.

Two random playable races are exterminated by the Old God-Kill in the start of the expansion, allowing existing characters of the races to live, but no further creation of such characters or race changes into them.

Chariot mounts enter the playing field.

You get your hovering island Stronghold.

Even more abilities get cut.

Aiming your attacks become a thing.

Aerial combat.

New profession: Wing-Crafting for the short term flight for aerial combat.

--------------------------

That is the dream. Breaking the status quo completely before the big "Final Battle" xpac. I also appreciate Thelos' Birdmen/Gorilla people idea.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Rend. on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Arenfel/Mikhael wrote:
The Z wrote:I'd actually love a possible third (neutral) faction consisting only of "odd and unusual" races, such as murlocs. I'd so call dibs on deep-sea murlocs with that lamp thingy.

Ethereals, Arakoa, Furbolg, and the like.

Tbh I just want to play a space mummy.

That does actually sound quite good haha! But, perhaps it's just my weak imagination, but I personally can't think of how they could make sense out of such a faction even existing.

I mean, Ethereals and Murlocs under the same banner?

Anyway, add Jinyu to that list. I know Jinyu are just evolved Murlocs, but add them both to the list. Just do it. Do it.

EDIT: And with the faction idea, there would be some severe language barrier issues. But I'm sure that could be fixed with some magic or something. If mages can comprehend other languages with a Glyph, then why not *shrug*

Rend.

Character sheet
Name: Rend
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:15 am

I wonder if we'll be able to see legs (or ANYTHING) under dresses in WoD.

Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:36 am

Helmut wrote:I wonder if we'll be able to see legs (or ANYTHING) under dresses in WoD.

Oh you perv you.

siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:39 am

siegmund wrote:
Helmut wrote:I wonder if we'll be able to see legs (or ANYTHING) under dresses in WoD.

Oh you perv you.

I want to see swinging dicks, thats all I am asking for.

But really, I hope they fix it from the weird, clipping twisted reality that is under the cloak. If they are going to update the models then please give them legs.

Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top