[Magic] The pursuit of cosmic truth. (Article 4)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Magic] The pursuit of cosmic truth. (Article 4)

Post by erwtenpeller on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:14 pm

OOC FOREWORD:
This thread will contain an open series of short articles on the nature of arcane and other things magical, published by Alph'el Bloodwrath, a Blood Elf Mage. The findings in the articles will be opinionated, and might not always reflect what is considered canon lore. I ask readers to be aware of this, and to refrain from starting OOC discussions. Instead, create some sort of in-game reply, either by contacting Alph'el in-game, or by replying in this thread by letter or alternative publication.

The articles will be available in common, orcish and Thalassian, and are avilible from all magical "hot-spots" such as Dalaran and the Scryers Library.

In-game contact on horde: "Alphel" or "Alphél"

The pursuit of cosmic truth.
By Alph'el Bloodwrath, mage of the Thalassian Spire.

Foreword.
The Craft of the Mage.

What does it mean to be a mage?

To be a mage is to be a scholar.

To be a mage is to search for the perfection of truth. To be a mage is to study the cosmos, to gain such an understanding over it that one gains a mastery over the fabric of the world, reality, and even time. The pursuit of power and combat prowess is secondary, if even that. For to be a mage means to dedicate one's life to books and study and the expansion of knowledge. The dim mage is a poor mage.

To be a mage is to be a craftsman.

To take study into practice, the mage must obtain a delicate mastery of Azeothian crafts. Often delicate instruments and artifacts are employed to control and focus the most intricate and complex enchantments. One must be able to draft symbols and circles with the utmost precision. The clumsy mage is a poor mage.

To be a mage is to be an artist.

The pursuit of cosmic truth often takes the mage to the unknown. When dealing with the unexplored, one must be creative and swift of mind, to adapt to new findings and apply them to one's craft. A spell-craftsman must be creative, always on the lookout for new solutions to old problems; and solve new problems with old solutions. And, one must be imaginative, to see what none see and make it reality. The unimaginative mage is a poor mage.

The following series of articles are about my own pursuit of cosmic truth, my own research and the conclusions I shall draw from them. Above all they will be about my journey to prove my own hypothesis, a theory that unifies all Azerothian spellcraft in a single, universal model.

Article 1
The String Theory.

"The String Theory" is the name of a model I have developed that will unify all Azerothian spellcraft under the same cosmic rules and terminology. I have identified the different basic components needed for spellcraft and given them their own name, place, and function. It is my belief that all spellcraft can be explained in these terms. To draw a parallel with Azerothian reality, I have named each component after a tailoring metaphor. From this tailoring metaphor the theory takes it's name.

The act of casting a spell can be described as follows:
The intellect guides the hand to draw threads from a cosmic spool to weave a pattern.

The pattern.
The pattern describes the shape and make-up of the spell's weave. The weave determines the spell's effect. Once a pattern is woven, the spell is cast.

Threads.
A spell's weave is made up out of threads. Threads are what empower the spell. Threads are drawn from a Cosmic Source.

The Spool.
The Spool is the Cosmic Source is from which threads can be drawn to weave patterns. Spools can be found in many places, and there are many different kinds of spools.

The Hand.
The hand is what spins strings from a source. The hand is what weaves threads into a pattern, and creates the fabric of a spell. Just as a physical hand, the magical expends energy when it weaves. We call the energy it expends "mana".

The Intellect.
The intellect is what guides the hand when it is weaving. The intellect is what knows the pattern to weave threads into the fabric that makes up a spell. The intellect is what knows where to find a spool and how to draw a thread from it.

The names might differ from school to school, but this is how I have identified and named the different components that make up spell-craft. In the next series of articles I will explain how this model can be used to explain spell-craft in all known forms and practices.

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm; edited 4 times in total

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: [Magic] The pursuit of cosmic truth. (Article 4)

Post by Sorayah on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:54 pm

With my mage being an IC cosmologist and all.. I like the foreword especially! And.. String Theory Very Happy

Sorayah

Character sheet
Name: Sorayah Moonseeker
Title: Priestess of the Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Hmm, interesting. *keeps eye on thread*

Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Wesley on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Interesting!

Elijah Wesley

Back to top Go down

Post by Feltrand on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:47 am

erwtenpeller wrote:
OOC FOREWORD:
This thread will contain an open series of short articles on the nature of arcane and other things magical, published by Alph'el Bloodwrath, a Blood Elf Mage. The findings in the articles will be opinionated, and might not always reflect what is considered canon lore. I ask readers to be aware of this, and to refrain from starting OOC discussions. Instead, create some sort of in-game reply, either by contacting Alph'el in-game, or by replying in this thread by letter or alternative publication.

The articles will be available in common, orcish and Thalassian, and are avilible from all magical "hot-spots" such as Dalaran and the Scryers Library.

In-game contact on horde: "Delidah"

The pursuit of cosmic truth.
By Alph'el Bloodwrath, mage of the Thalassian Spire.

Foreword.
The Craft of the Mage.

What does it mean to be a mage?

To be a mage is to be a scholar.

To be a mage is to be a craftsman.

To be a mage is to be an artist.

DAT! Very Happy i am following this thread.

Feltrand

Location : Fort Raven's Hold in Frostfire - Hillsbrad foothills - Silvermoon - Shattrath

Character sheet
Name: Feltrand Ravensun
Title: Chronomancer Magister Artist

http://feltrandravensunart.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

(( I have the next couple of articles all ready in mind, but I am limiting myself to posting one every weekend. My character is writing these, and I don't want his research and development to go faster then I can role-play it out.

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone! ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Article 2
The Divine Dilemma.

For this article I will use the term "Divine" for all things supernatural, without cultural or religious bias.

What is the Divine Dilemma?

When we look at spell-craft as described in the string theory, divine casters provide a dilemma. I have interviewed a great deal of priests, druids and shamans and all of them have one important trait in common; They are generally incapable of describing how their spell-craft works. And this while they are not un-learned men and woman. Many are established scholars with a great deal of knowledge about the cosmos and it's workings, but they do not know the patterns of the spells they produce. They produce them not through intellect, but through the spirit; through heart and emotion. Here-in lies the dilemma. According to string theory, there must always be an intellect that guides the hand. There must always be an intellect that knows the patterns.

Almost without exception, divine spell-casters will attribute their amazing feats and great abilities to an exterior force. A god, a spirit, or even a form of cosmic energy. I have one priest of the Holy Light on record that told me the following: "I let my hand by guided by the Light, almighty and all-knowing". From the clergy of the holy light, to the druids of the mesas, to the witch doctors that commune with the spirits, all make a similar claim. This has led me to the conclusion that divine spell-casters turn not to their own intellect to produce the patterns for their spells, but to a "higher" intellect. An external force. This external force works through them without the channeller ever truly knowing what their hand is doing. Perhaps they have no desire to know, but a more likely explanation is that the patterns such an external force produces are too complex to comprehend.

This also helps explain why divine spell-casters are often capable of producing spells that no mage has yet been able to reproduce. Healing magic is a good example of this. This external force must have an Intellect more vast then that of "mere mortals", and is therefore able to comprehend more complex patterns.

The Solution:

The difference between the Divine Caster and the Spell-Crafter lies in the fact that the Divine Caster uses an Intellect that guides the hand and knows the pattern that is not their own. Where the Spell-Crafter relies on their own knowledge of the cosmos to cast spells, the Divine Caster relies on an exterior entity that possesses this knowledge. We will refer to this exterior entity as The Divine Intellect.

The Divine Intellect can also be attributed to the Divine Caster's ability to draw threads from spools that the Caster can not normally draw from, or has great trouble drawing usable threads from. This is evident in the druids drawing from the force of life itself, in priests and paladins drawing from the Light, and shamans drawing from the various elements.

To conclude:

The Divine Intellect is added to the components that make up spell-craft.

The Divine Intellect
The Divine Intellect is an exterior force that guides the hand when it is weaving. The Divine Intellect knows the patterns, and guides the hand to weave them, leaving the caster uneducated on the composition of the pattern. In addition, The Divine Intellect is often capable of drawing threads from spools which are unknown to the spell-caster.

Note that the basics of spell-craft still apply to Dive Casters:
The intellect guides the hand to draw threads from a cosmic spool to weave a pattern.
The divine casters own hand is used to draw threads and weave patterns and the divine caster expends mana by doing so, and is guided by the Intellect. The only functional difference is that the Intellect is not their own, but of a divine source.

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Just so you don't feel disheartened, here's my reply so you know I've definetly read Article 2.

So yeah, nice work bud'.

Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:25 pm

((IC correspondence from an unlikely source))

Speculation and rumours are constantly in the air around the mystical art of Druidism, and the secrecy behind it makes it all the more alluring for scholars the world over. Whilst each Druids story changes from person to person, the one thing that remains the same throughout is the profound connection to the Emerald Dream and its millennia old denizens. The Tauren are too mystic to delve further into their craft with outside races, The Trolls that are versed enough in the Druidic craft and the Cenarion Circle to spread their knowledge are too busy training the future generations of their kind to pass their knowledge onto outsiders, Gilneans barely understand their own affliction that ties them to Goldrinn at the best of times, cheating the decades of study required by most Druids by being linked directly to a Demi-God, and Night Elves are isolationists at best, guarding their charge with an almost zealous fervour.

And why wouldn't they? When they're charged with guarding the Emerald Dream by a Dragon Aspect, you don't upset a being of such immense power with a half-hearted job. Not that they do their job out of fear of reprisal, they are not slaves to their work, but rather they do it out of a self-imposed debt that they owe to the planet after the War of the Ancients.

So when a Magi or Scholar gets just a little too close to the Emerald Dream, making their untainted world accessible to all, some of the more zealous Kaldorei make it their job to destroy this research or subvert the scholar to prevent another situation like the Emerald Nightmare from occurring again.

Rumours of a certain Sin’dorei speculating on the nature of the Emerald Dream and the Druidic arts had spread to Nighthaven, Moonglade, and it was not long before murmurs of discontent had spread to those most skittish about the control of information. Deciding action needed to be taken to quiet the more timid of Druids, Raene Shatterstar headed to the Cenarion Expedition outpost within Outland, camping there briefly on her way to the Scryers library to read the writings of this ‘Alph'el Bloodwrath’ who had caused such a stir within the Circle.

Despite some very unhelpful Sin’dorei offering nothing but scorn to the Kaldorei Druidess, she eventually found the writings of this Bloodwrath atop a pile of dusty old tomes, the only piece of literature not exhausted by the Scyers posted within Shattrath.

”Let’s see here… Da-da-dun-da-daa~ Weave… Spool… Light… Ahh, Druidism… What…? This is what everyone’s so scared about?”

She muses. Speaking aloud in wonder, using her mother tongue.

”Well, I wouldn’t say it’s life we draw from, but he’s not too far off. Still… This is nothing to be concerned about…”

She says, laying the parchment neatly where she found it.

Clapping her hands off of the residue of dust and Arcane that permeates the Scryers library, she heads for the exit, diving off the edge of the plaza and making her flight back to Azeroth to relay the good news to her fellow Druids.

Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm

(( Haha, lovely reply! Very Happy ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Artice 3
The Materials of Magic.

This article will be about the wide assortment of magical energies we encounter in the cosmos.

When tailoring a fine dress, the choice of the fabric used is one of the first and most important steps. Different fabrics, made from different materials, have a different texture and function. A fine night gown is preferably made from fine silk, soft on the skin, and comfortable. A bag to transport potatoes is preferably made from burlap, rough, but sturdy, and cheap. But, once one knows the pattern, one could make a night gown out of burlap, and a potato sack out of silk. The used material might not suit the intended use as well as the other, but it could be done.

I theorize that this is no different from magic. Once one knows the pattern for a magical spell, and one has access to a spool to draw threads from, the pattern can be woven. However, the nature of the threads used will have an effect on the final weave, just as it has in tailoring. A simple kinetic blast woven from arcane threads will behave differently then a kinetic blast woven from shadow threads, or light threads.

In the following article I will delve into the different sources of magical energies that we know exist in the cosmos, and the effect they have on the patterns woven with them.

I will refer to these sources as Cosmic Materials.

Article 3.1
Arcane.

Arcane energy is the force that binds other forces together. It is a sort of cosmic glue, an adhesive. In it's natural, undisturbed form it courses over the world in a network of channels we call "Ley-lines" like blood streams through vessels in the organic body. Through these channels, the arcane provides energy for the world to function. If you where to draw out or change the flow of this energy too much the word seizes to perform normally. The rules of physics start to fall apart, and eventually, the world itself breaks.

Because of it's raw nature, the Arcane can be spun to generate the broadest array of practical patterns, ranging from the conjuration of nutrition, to the generation of translocational portals. The Arcane does not have strong properties of it's own.

Typically, the Arcane is the main material to use for spell-crafters because of it's open and mold-able nature. Once the pattern is known, anything can be woven from arcane strings.

Article 3.2
Elemental.

Elemental material can be divided into four categories: Fire, Earth, Water and Wind.

In their natural form the expressions of elemental material are wide-spread and visible. It is seen in the clouds, the earth, the oceans and the very earth we walk on. Aside from their expressions in this world, each has a plate of existence of it's own where they originate from.

It is extremely difficult to use elemental material for a pattern that does not reflect the nature of the element used. Try to weave a freezing spell using strings spun from fire material, and the pattern will likely disintegrate, or require vast amounts of mana to stabilize.

Article 3.3
Life.

Life energy is a force representative of natural growth. It is the energy that makes life possible. In it's natural form it is visible in all things that live and grow, flora and fauna. All living things need life energy to exist.

Life material can be used to spin threads in various ways. Most efficiently it is used for patterns that deal with growth in one way or another, effects that life would have on it's own, without manipulation.

Article 3.4
Shadow

Shadow energy is the representative of natural decay. It is the energy that makes death possible. In it's natural form it is visible in all things that live and grow, flora and fauna. All living things need shadow energy to be able to end their existence.

Shadow material can be used to spin threads in various ways. Most efficiently it is used for patterns that deal with decay or death in one way or another, effects that shadow would have in it's own, without manipulation.

The Shadow Material is often connected to morale of the intellect. In most cultures the effects of shadow are considered to be morally deplorable.

Article 3.5
Light

The Light material is an interesting exception to most materials in that it does not appear to have a natural reflection in the world. It reflects most of the properties that Life Material displays.

The Light Material is most effectively used for patterns in the same way that life is used, for growth and the prolonging of life. When strings spun from Light Material are used to weave offensive spells, they are often more effective against beings in which Life Material in it's natural form is absent.

Light material is generally closely tied to morale of the intellect. In most cultures the effects of the Light Material are considered virtuous.

Article 3.6
Fel

The Fel Material is an interesting exception to most materials in that it does not appear to have a natural reflection in the world. It can be described as a parasitic material, often drawn through other materials, most commonly Elemental and Arcane. In this, it is unique.

Fel Material has a very wide range of applications, because of it's parasitic nature. When Fel strings are woven into a pattern the pattern often becomes a more potent version of it's original design, especially when applied for destructive purposes.

Fel Material is considered to be dangerous, and morally deplorable in most cultures. It is closely connected to the Burning Legion, and Demons.

For demonic entities, it could be stated that the Fel Material has taken over functions that would normally be governed by the Life Material.

Article 3.7
Mana

Mana is the internal, personal energy that makes spell-casting possible. Where muscles and blood drive the hands of the body, Mana drives the hands of the mind. Every spiritual motion in spell-casting expends this energy.

In it's nature it is very similar to the Arcane. But where the Arcane is the energy that feeds the world, mana is the energy that feeds the person.

-----

In article four I will explore and explain the connections between these materials, and how they compile the make-up of our world.

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shriukan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 pm

*Shriukan opens the paper and reads through it*

"Arcane energy is the force that binds other forces together."

Hrrm, I do not really agree with that, but I do agree it has a connection to the others if not only by its moldable properties. On another note he forgot to mention its addictiveness.

"It is extremely difficult to use elemental material for a pattern that does not reflect the nature of the element used."

Let us see. Each type of elemental spirit has his own knowledge and abilities. If I make a request and nothing happens, my plight might simply not have been heard by a strong enough elemental.
Another thing would be that since they only know their elemental abilities, it would be impossible for... let us see... an earth elemental to heal since they do not know how to do it. It is out of their innate elemental knowledge.
However, a shaman's ingenuity consists of making the elements work together. That can be easily reflected in our ability to hurl molten rocks. The Earth gets melted by Fire and propelled by Wind. In combining the elements we are able to expand our abilities.

"Most efficiently it is used for patterns that deal with growth in one way or another" ((Life))

To be more precise, it increases growth speed, and by extension, regeneration. Which, along with elemental waters, make them entirely different from the Light.

"Most efficiently it is used for patterns that deal with decay or death in one way or another, effects that shadow would have in it's own, without manipulation."

Hrmm I would have added that it is a semi sentient magic since condensed shadow matter beings like Voidwalkers exist. Another thing would be that when wielded correctly, it helps see into one's mind, even control them without causing harm... or cause a great deal of pain.
I presume it as semi sentient as it could be this magic making its way into one's mind, after all, elemental spirits can speak with a shaman in his mind as well. The difference is that the elemental cannot take control of you and only speaks to you if you are attuned to it.

"It reflects most of the properties that Life Material displays." ((Light))

Well I can agree with that but it feels more like an imitation. It changes its properties to heal or attack and can do so instantly. Its healing properties are different from the regenerative properties of elemental waters and life. It causes a shock or bursts of healing that can either be interpreted as undoing damage or the fastest natural regeneration ever. I would opt for the first one.
As for its offensive properties, it is still based on shocks and bursts, but this time, it is as if someone put a giant magnifying glass under the sun and focused it on one being. It can cause severe burns and many Zealots have been known for burning themselves to death while using the Light.

"It can be described as a parasitic material, often drawn through other materials, most commonly Elemental and Arcane. In this, it is unique." ((Fel))

*Shriukan spits on the floor*
Fel. It makes us shamans work hard to cleanse the land. All these portals, fountains, beasts. They corrupt the very land they tread on. It attacks the elements. And while it is hard, it can fully remove all the elemental essence of an elemental's core and inhabit it and "live"
Look at Shadowmoon Valley. Fel fire, fel earth, fel lava, fel scent. Its only purpose is chaos and while I am not a stranger to chaos, it is their corruption and addictiveness that leads me to shun it.
Now, do not interpret these words as hate for the warlock, but his recklessness only causes harm. A good warlock, in the moral sense, will always try to minimise his footprint.

*Shriukan closes the paper and rubs his chin*

All in all, he got his point across.

Shriukan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:50 am

(( Thanks for the post, Shriu. We'll talk in-character ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:12 pm

((Wow this thread is amazing! Great work has gone into this, that is evident))

Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 pm

To prevent confusion and make the vocabulary more clear for future articles, I have a late addition to Article three. I have also added small illustrations to represent each cosmic material.

Article 3.7
Mana

Mana is the internal, personal energy that makes spell-casting possible. Where muscles and blood drive the hands of the body, Mana drives the hands of the mind. Every spiritual motion in spell-casting expends this energy.

In it's nature it is very similar to the Arcane. But where the Arcane is the energy that feeds the world, mana is the energy that feeds the person.

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Article 4
The Magisphere

In Article 3 I explained the seven known cosmic materials, and their individual properties. With the exception of the Fel and Light materials, the materials of magic do not only make up the spectrum of spell-casting, but are also the basic materials from which the cosmos is built. The their undisturbed state, they are in a balance with each other, making a stable world possible, and inhabitable. I will refer to this balance as the Magisphere.

Article 4.1
The Center

While the cosmos is populated with many individuals, each one stands in the middle of the forces around them. This is how the individual experiences the magisphere. This does not mean every individual has their own unique magisphere. There is one cosmic magisphere, experienced by every individual.

Mana is the force that creates the individual. Mana is the energy that drives the soul, and fuels the supernatural.

The Material of Mana and the Individual are depicted as the center of my model.

Image 4.1: The individual and Mana

Article 4.2
The Circle of Life and Death

The closest forces to the individuals experience are life and death, a cycle all individuals participate in. This cycle is made up of the Life and Shadow Materials.

When in balance, this circle governs the life-cycle of all flora and fauna. Life ensures new things can grow, and shadow makes sure these things can die. Without the shadow life would expand without borders, and suffocate the cosmos. Without Life, there would be no individual.

The ring of Life and Shadow is placed around the individual, for they govern it's existence.

Image 4.2: The circle of Life and Death (Shadow)

Article 4.3
The Elemental Ring

One step further away from the individual we get to the world we inhabit, our environment. This environment is composed of the Elements; the oceans, the soil, the sky and fire. Without the elemental ring, Life, Shadow or the Individual would have no place to thrive.

When the elements are in balance, the world they make is a lush one full of life and activity. When this balance is disturbed, we will see places of existence were the Circle of Life and Death, and therefore the Individual can not exist.

The Elemental Ring is placed around the Circle of Life and Death, and the Individual.

......................Image 4.3: The Elemetal Ring

Article 4.4
The Arcane Belt

To exist, the Elements, Life, Shadow and the Individual need energy. This energy is provided in the form of raw Arcane Material. These energies cluster together as they are distributed over the cosmos, forming Ley-lines. The largest conglomerations of Ley-Lines are found in areas where there is an abundance of Life, Shadow or Elemental activity. These activities bend and shape the flow of Ley-Lines as the come up and subside.

When the balance of the Arcane ring is disruped, the lower rings can be exposed to a lack- or an abundance of energy. When this happens, the cosmos bends and shapes in unnatural ways.

The Arcane ring is placed around the Elemental Ring and the Circle of Life and Death.

..............................Image 4.4: The complete Magisphere.

Article 4.5
The Influences of Light and Fel

The Light and Fel are forces that do not have a place in the natural Magisphere. Unlike the other materials, the cosmos could exist without them. Yet their impact on the Magisphere is undeniable, especially on the individual.

The Fel is a force that destroys and consumes indiscriminately. It's ring of influence can touch all other rings, but needs the individual for it to be brought there. In the model it's ring of influence is placed on the same side as shadow and death, because it is closely related to this side of the spectrum.

The Light is a force of mending and balance. It's ring of influence can touch all other rings, but needs the individual for it to be brought there. In the model it's ring of influence is placed on the same side as Life, because it is closely related to this side of the spectrum.

It appears as if the Light and the Fel are forces directly opposed to each other. One destroys, the other mends.

The Fel and Light rings are positioned so that they originate on the outside of the Magisphere, but reach to it's very heart; The Individual.

................................Image 4.5: The Magisphere, with the addition of Light and Fel.

---

In Article 5, I will take a closer look at the effects spell-casting and the different materials have on the Individual.

Last edited by erwtenpeller on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm

*pouts*

It's not fair that you can make your own pretty drawings for your posts ._.

Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:48 pm

(( I'm glad you like it Smile ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Article 4: Supplement.
Tending to a Balanced Magisphere.

It is important not only for the individual, put for the entirety of the cosmos that the balance of the entire Magisphere is preserved. Where-ever it's balance is upset, the cosmos is compromised. One can not even begin to think of what would happen if the Magisphere was destroyed. It could mean the end of existence itself.

Divine casters, especially druids and shamans, are taught the importance of balance as they progress their abilities, almost without exception. I strongly feel this should be no different for the mage, and yes, even the priest and the warlock. It is a potent material that we make our own, one capable of great feats, but also great destruction.

Of course the casting of a single fireball or a simple portal spell will do nothing to upset the balance of the cosmos on a big scale. But when the spells grow bigger, we should be weary of the consequences. As a personal guideline for day-to-day casting I use my personal mana. I don't use mana-stones to store and replenish it. When my mana is spent and I am tired and weak, I take it as a sign that I have reached my limit, and need to take a break from casting magic. This will give the natural ley plenty of time to replenish the arcane energies in an area I might have spent with my spells.

I encourage any mage and warlock to refrain from using mana stones and similar replenishing agents, and to accept what they can do within their personal limits.

If a spell needs be cast that exceeds the limits of the individual, take great care in considering what effects it could have for the Magisphere, and instead of using augmenting agents like mana stones, seek out a circle of spellcasters and share your mana to reach the requirements of the spell to be cast.

These precautions might seem limiting, and simple, but they will prevent the spellcaster from destroying the environment they need to exist.

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 pm

The pictures made me read the whole thing. And that's a good thing. Like it, a lot.

Spoiler:
NO LONGER ACTIVE:
Grufftoof da Dok (Grufftoof)
Aut-o-Hunta Mk VIb 'Trigga' (Trigga)
Mortemer the Mystic (Mortemer)
also starring:
Lazuri The Great
Whiskers / King Rat

Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 pm

(( Thanks. It's far from complete, but Alph'el has covered most of the basics now. More specific articles are on the horizon!

I'd like to urge anyone with a scholar character to leave an in-character reply for Alph'el. I started this thread to engage in an in-character debate, rather then the 296th Out of character debate Wink ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feltrand on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

((i like the definition of arcane as glue. unfortunatly not than seeign how can you mold things out with glue tbh... and i play mage. but i do understand the concept. a sort of a swis knife, or a duct tape for macgyver xD))

Feltrand

Location : Fort Raven's Hold in Frostfire - Hillsbrad foothills - Silvermoon - Shattrath

Character sheet
Name: Feltrand Ravensun
Title: Chronomancer Magister Artist

http://feltrandravensunart.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:44 pm

(( If Feltrant can formulate his doubts in a letter, perhaps Alph'el will be able to explain it in a way he -can- understand! Very Happy ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Aishling finally sat down with a glass of wine. She finished most of her work and finally found the time to sit down. She browsed through her papers and found something she accepted a while ago.

"Oh yeah, I promised to read these..."

She opened the small book and read line for line, making her own notes next to it.

"Very interesting indeed... although it feels more like a spritual guide rather than factual. For instance, fel is corrupt arcane magic. Fel should not have 'its own circle' unless you're talking spiritually, or needs in society...."

She kept on writing a few of her own ideas and findings in a small notebook for the rest of the afternoon for possible research and theorycrafting.

((Very interesting! It's also easy to read which is good! =3))

Alliance:
Human(Worgen) Death Knight Aeron Turner - Killing, somewhere.
(A)Pandaren Tushui Monk: Xen-Tau Swiftstrike - Finding a place to live

Idea borrowed from: Nilda Meyrick and Monrena

Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 pm

(( Thanks for the response! Though it would have been nice to have received it as a note, so I could have Alph respond to it. I guess we'll talk in character when next we meet. ))

erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top