[IC] The Draenic Generation Gap: Corrospondence between Exaythe and Thelos.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [IC] The Draenic Generation Gap: Corrospondence between Exaythe and Thelos.

Post by Melnerag on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 am

Dear brother,

I feel weak and incomplete, longing for love and for trust. I long for a friend who understands me better than I understand myself, a tutor who will guide me when I require guidance, a brother who will put his hand on my shoulder when I set out on my own, a mother who will embrace me when I feel alone in the world. To trust and to love unconditionally and wholly as a child, it is a dream I cling to yet a dream I cannot fulfill.

How can I put that trust in the Light? The unknowable and the infinite, spread farther than my mind can reach and spanning a bridge between the forgotten fast and the uncertain future; where does this road lead and where did it begin? The promises are many and my heart yearns to complete itself with the piece it is missing, or is it the Light that longs to complete itself with my soul? Did I choose to follow the Light, or did the Light choose me to follow it…or perhaps it was always written in the book of time that I am to walk the road with the Light both as the bricks of the pathway and the companion at my side.

Yet how can I do it, I dare not step onto the road. I do not know where it will lead me. I feel that if I make my first step on that road, the whole universe will follow and I know in my heart that for better or for worse I will be responsible not for me alone, but the whole world. Yet here I stand, knowing equally well that the universe waits and watches, ready to set out when I do. And again I am responsible, for better or for worse, for the whole world not beginning on the road.

I have nowhere to turn for answers except the road itself. The whole universe is silent, yet sings with a single voice. The Light is its own proof and in yearning for it I yearn even stronger. I feel lost and do not know what to do, if I reach out it will be out of this longing to complete myself. But how can I truly love the Light when I embrace it out of weakness?

Should I not first complete myself and then stride proudly into the Light? If I surrender now, I will feel like a child returning to her mother because she knows that when the whole world darkens, this is the last place she can go. Or is it the only true love that ever was?

I am trapped between my heart that cries out to be reunited with the Light and chastises me for abandoning the hallowed path, and my mind that tells me that I cannot believe, because I am weak and unworthy. To run to the Light in this moment is to admit my weakness and sign my troubles over to a Higher Power to solve. Yet how can I ever confront myself alone, without the Light by my side?

My mind wanders, as does my body, allowing immaterial troubles to distract it from the problems I should have confronted long ago. Wherever I look, the Light is there to offer its love and kindness and remedy my ills…yet I dare not approach it.
What if I sign away my soul to a cunning and imperious power that seeks to rule the universe? What if in believing I do Good, I forge an empire of evil in which there is no place for those who do not confirm? Sanara’s words ring clearly in my mind, and as she preaches I do not see peace and love…I see civilizations subverted and manipulated by the Naaru to follow the Light and believe it to be good. I see unrepentant cities burning, reduced to ash. I see the restless and turbulent creativity of mortal beings snuffed out by serene and static world. What else is there to reach, when you have reached the Light? I see a billion ambitions crushed like deceptive idols, a billion hopes dispersed like the morning mist only so that one hope, one ambition can be fulfilled.

And when I look into the future Sanara’s words turn into yours, and they promise not a universe filled with joy and bustle of worlds and cities, not the endless quest to learn and master the mysteries of nature, not the life-giving outpouring of creative genius creating works of arts capable of stirring hearts of all future generations, not the billion billion creatures overcoming their limitations and touching upon a greater reality and becoming divine in those split-second instants …no…in your words I see the end of time. Your words preach the final paralysis, a stagnant universe in which there is one word alone: the Light.

How can I place my trust and love in this Light, how can I walk the hallowed path that leads through the massacre of hopes and ash of cities to the End of Time? How can anybody who loves this world as I do betray it by signing up to fulfill this gruesome prophecy wrapped in a golden cloak?

I am no lover of other divinities, but the Elementals worshipped by the shaman are full of life and dynamism, always moving, always changing and desiring no cosmic mastery. Loa and Ancients of the Trolls and Druids offer worldly wisdom of nature’s mysteries and are content in their glades and vales, rivers-basins and forests. Even Elune is as worldly, tied to nature and the earth, as she is lofty and divine, bestowing heavenly wisdom without forgetting her roots in this world. All these divinities believe themselves, they believe in this world and its workings and seek out the aid of mortals to become their shepherds….shepherds of the wilds, of earth and fire, of air and water, of the stars and the moon, the forests and glades.

Why should I choose Light or Shadow, these two cosmic monstrosities that seek to end the time itself, over these ‘lesser’ powers? Why should I love the singularity of Light over the plurality of this wonderful world?

-Exaythe

PS: Please direct your letters to Darnassus, I will be staying there for foreseeable future.

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 am

((see, this is why im on Exaythe's side in this exchange cheers now, how will the devout Thelos respond? Question ))

Zouyo

Character sheet
Name: Grek'thar Earthstorm
Title: Crazy orc

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 am

((Exaythe is such a heretic.))

[H] Atsenkha - Former Kor'kron, Red Blade Tribesorc

"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself... In all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

—The Iron Law of Bureaucracy

Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 am

((Are you the kettle or the teapot Drustai? Cool ))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 am

((Dru happens to be a devoted Lightie, tyvm.))

Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:07 am

((The difference is, Exaythe is a nicer person despite being a heretic! *mocks Dru*))

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:21 am

(( Thelos - it is time, send a copy of this letter to the office of the Holy Inquisition upon arrival.

kthnkxbai! Wink ))

corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Yarnaat on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 am

Corleth wrote:(( Thelos - it is time, send a copy of this letter to the office of the Holy Inquisition upon arrival.

kthnkxbai! Wink ))

((Get out of here you dirty human!))

Yarnaat

Character sheet
Name: Yarnaat
Title: Vindicator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:03 am

((Necromancers are not lighties Dru! :p))

Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain on Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:56 am

((And Undead can not be Paladins? Wink))

Contact: Skarain#2346(Btag), Skarain#8885(Discord), inejaro(Skype)

Help the appearance of the server: Report player/pet/guild names.

Forum Moderator: Contact in regarding questions or issues with the forum.

"Roleplaying....is beautiful. And it may take your heart and soul. Entirely..."

Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Lexgrad wrote:((Necromancers are not lighties Dru! :p))

((You apparently haven't heard of the Auchenai.))

"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself... In all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:22 pm

((Oh i recall slaughtering them on all my characters thus far Smile ))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:20 pm

[[ Auchenai governed the dead, y'know like Grave keepers.. they don't raise 'em. Well the good Auchenai don't! ]]

Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Exaythe,

You are very eloquent. I can think of no reasonable souls who would deny this. You prose is elegant and your poetry flows. You write with much pathos and zest. Your vocabulary is large and speaks of a sweeping, far-reaching education. You’re an impressive scholar, there’s no doubt about it. You’re learned. You have studied the arcane secrets of the nether, you have involved yourself in many exotic peoples and people, and more importantly, their many deities. Many gods have revealed to you their ancient secrets. Your actions and passion speak of a great enlightened heart; the Light is strong in you. You have shined your Light brightly on others trough your actions, and now, trough your words.

So why is it that I understand nothing of what you write?

Why is it that, even though I am holding a beautifully written letter in my hands, I am left feeling nothing but numbness? Is it the divide, Exaythe? I have no doubt you are much cleverer than I. How could you not be? You study the mysteries of this world while I, a man of simple mind, busy myself with worldly affairs. I am afraid you cannot expect me to understand, my dear Exaythe. I share not the learning of sisters like yourself and sisters Drustai, Celaeh and Sanara. I am but one dumb eredar of humble farmland origins.

I plead you; forgive me for my inadequacy and ineloquence. I sincerely hope you will not think less of me for knowing that I require elaborations and explanations to properly grasp the complexity of your prose and pay it the respect it is due. Please, allow me the questions I so sorely need.

You write: “I long for a friend who understands me better than I understand myself, a tutor who will guide me when I require guidance, a brother who will put his hand on my shoulder when I set out on my own, a mother who will embrace me when I feel alone in the world.”, followed by “How can I put that trust in the Light?”

Forgive me for sounding crass, but, isn’t that a little silly?

Where would you look for a friend, but you peers?

Where would you look for a tutor, but your elders and superiors?

Where would you look for siblings and parents, but your family?

Do you not have all these things already; had had, have, or will have?

It is a childish and stupid thing, Exaythe, to ask the Light for anything. You say you long for all these things, and are disappointed that the Light does not seem to provide? Are you completely daft? You already have all these things, have had them, or will have them, Light wills it. It knows better what you want and need than you do. It provides.

You have friends amongst your peers. They respect you as a friend for who you are and what you can do. This respect is the Light.

You have been taught by many learned scholars and wise anchorites who graciously shared their knowledge with you. This selfless sharing is the Light.

Your one and only mother and father loved you unconditionally. Their love was Light. All the brothers, sisters, sons and daughters you ever had or will have loved you wholeheartedly. Their love is the Light.

The Light provides. When we deny this simle and well known truth it can only be because our feeble mind’s inability to grasp that which has no boundaries or limits. Limitless love is not fit for mortals understanding.

But we have already established that your mind is anything but feeble. What, then, could I possibly have missed? What exactly was the meaning of those two stanza’s that evaluated the Light's suitability as a friend, a mentor, a brother and a mother – and pray, a lover maybe? That is my question, Exaythe, one I pray you will answer in haste, because to leave a fellow soul in doubt is terrible sin indeed.

After the statement that I cited your letter quickly descends into poetry – or prose, Light if I can tell the difference – that is too deep and vast for me to understand, I’m afraid. It is so far beyond my comprehension that I cannot even seem to be able to formulate a sentence to question it.

You write: “I feel lost and do not know what to do, if I reach out it will be out of this longing to complete myself. But how can I truly love the Light when I embrace it out of weakness?”, followed by “Should I not first complete myself and then stride proudly into the Light? If I surrender now, I will feel like a child returning to her mother because she knows that when the whole world darkens, this is the last place she can go. Or is it the only true love that ever was.

Did I read this correctly? “Embrace the Light out of weakness?” I am sorry, Exaythe, but to my feeble and unlearned mind this seems like a contradictio in terminis. See, the only strength I have been taught about is the Light. Accepting it is Power, It is Enlightenment. Only in serving It and realizing Its Will do our actions and though have meaning. Denying the Light is weakness and despair. In denial, we hide from the call of duty, a desertion – do you know what happens to soldiers who desert their armies and lords? They are put to death for cowardice. They do not die the brave death of a martyr.. Bravery and loyalty are strength, cowardice and desertion are weaknesses.

But I know you have a firmer understanding of these concepts than I Pray tell! Complete yourself? Whatever is the meaning of that, Exaythe? How can you complete yourself before embracing the Light, while we both know the Light to be All; is It not perfection and completion? Another contradictio in terminis, as far as I can tell. But I tell very little, and know even less – Light safe me from my inaptitude.

None of this makes any sense to me. I hope, however, that you will allow me to take a wild guess – a wager, a stab in the dark if you will, to make sense of it, in the only way in which I can. “Completing yourself”, “surrending”, “to admit my weakness and sign my troubles over to a Higher Power to solve.” … Do you think that in Faith, we abandon some grand quest to understand the universe? Do you think that Faith is cowardice because it is somehow our grand duty to unravel the mysteries, a duty we desert in Faith? Do you think the common people like I submit ourselves to the Light because we cannot deal with our own problems? Because we demand that some higher power do it for us? ‘Life is too hard for me to deal with, so I’ll ask something else to deal with it for me-‘ is that what you think the common peasant tells himself to avoid having to confront his stupidity?

If this is truly what you mean, that acceptance of the Light is cowardice and childsplay, then you disgust me with every fiber of your being as you mock everything that I and my people stand and have stand for.

Let me tell you something about childsplay, Exaythe. Let me tell you something about the immaturity of the self-proclaimed gods who saw themselves fit to lord over creation in the Light’s stead. Let me tell you something about “the endless quest to learn and master the mysteries of nature, the life-giving outpouring of creative genius creating works of arts capable of stirring hearts of all future generations, the billion billion creatures overcoming their limitations and touching upon a greater reality and becoming divine in those split-second instants”.

Let me tell you about Argus.

Much like yourself, the eredar of Argus strove for perfection. Perfection of soul and body. You might have been told how competitive Argussian culture was. This was to hone our very selves; the idea was that in the struggle to be the best, all potential , latent or otherwise, would be pulled out of every individual. There were tournaments and prices of any kind, not just of the physical or martial sorts, of the mind and understanding also. Grand universities were founded to unravel the mysteries of the world. Our command of the fabrics of time and space were unrivaled, even today, our technological and magical wonders are unsurpassed. We were a race of endless power and of eternal youth. Our understanding of the mysteries of creation would make even the most clever gnome blush in embarrassment over his ignorance. We were masters of our world.

We learned and mastered the mysteries of nature.

We poured out creative genius, creating works of arts capable of stirring hearts of all future generations.

We were billions of creatures that overcame our limitations and touched upon a greater reality and became divine in split-second instants.

Do you know which instant this was, Exaythe? Which instant proved to be the most divine for these perfect masters of the world?

The ascent of Sargaras.

Was it any wonder then that the majority of Eredar accepted Sargaras as their Lord? Sargaras, who promised us unlimited power to perfect our bodies, and unlimited knowledge of the secrets of the nether to perfect our minds? No, of course not. It was rational and logical. We sought power, power to transcend our current condition on our restless quest for perfection, and in this quest, we were all too eager to accept the awesome powers of Sargaras, the Radiant Lord, as most called Him and still call Him. In dying our skins red, we gained even more power. We grew stronger. We learned more. We gained an even greater mastery over the Secrets. The whole world would become our playground, the laws of reality a mere plaything to be changed at the player’s whim.

You wrote ““Should I not first complete myself and then stride proudly into the Light?”, and, knowing history, I can only assume that you wish to tread on the path of your Man’ari ancestry. After all, your red-skinned ancestors reached an understanding and mastery over the universe you can only dream of. Do you wish to attain this mastery for yourself before you ‘present’ yourself to the Light?

I suppose these people were heroes to you? Those who rejected the Prophet Velen’s cowardly escape to the Naaru’s comforting numbness in favor of the call of knowledge? Those who, rather than to childishly run to some otherworldly power who promised would make life better for them, heroically took charge of their own lives? Shapers of their own destinies? To unravel the mysterie? These promised few, these paragons of perfection! Oh how you wish you could have shared in their glory as they braved the mysteries of creation!

Do you wish to you make your apology to the Light in red skin, rather than blue?

Then, yes, I can perfectly understand your callous rejection of the Light. It is perfectly rational, because the Light rejects just what you seek to attain before you judge yourself worthy of the Light’s Grace: Demonhood.

If the vibrant, chaotic and alluring promises of the endless opportunities of the Nether and Demonhood have such a strong appeal to you then I am not at all surprised that you would interpreted the Light’s final haven as something terrible. After all, there is nothing more horrible to those who strife for understanding and perfection, than to actually achieve full understanding and actual perfection. I am unsure what the Loa, the elemental spirits, and all those other deities you named have to do with any of this, but if it is perfection of the Self you strive for, then I think you should not have to look beyond the Legion. They promise power and knowledge. It is yours for the taking, if you would only seize it.

But of course, you cannot mean any of these things of which I most callously accuse you of. You are a devout servant of the Light, whose knowledge and understanding of the world far surpasses my own – implying that such a blessed mind would entertain such wicked thought would be a grave sin indeed. I am certain that this stab in the darkness is just that – a foolish gamble. I apologize if I my musings offended you in any way. If they did, then they must be the bitter ravings of an old madman. If they did not, then they must have been the dumb and worthless ideas of a dulled mind. I apologize for both, even though I could have only wronged you with one.

There is more in your letter that confuses me. More that will require elaboration.

You write: “What if I sign away my soul to a cunning and imperious power that seeks to rule the universe? What if in believing I do Good, I forge an empire of evil in which there is no place for those who do not confirm?”

A cunning and imperious power? Is this supposed to be some kind of joke, Exaythe? The Light, cunning? The Light is not cunning. It has no intelligence or intellect to be clever with. It is not a concept that is applicable to the Light, a fact you know better than I. Therefore, I can only assume it was some sort of clever rhetorical utterance, whose reason for employing is far beyond my humble mind’s reach. The Light is not some sort of stern deity who sits is on a far-off throne awaiting his ascension in this world. This is a childish and naïve understanding of the Divine, a metaphor of a weak mind that can only approach It by means of a demeaning detour. Be wary, though, to not let this image become the reality. The Light is not a deity. It is a cosmic force. It is Love, it is Kindness, it is Mercy; it is all these thing, and all other goods that grace creation besides. It does not seek to establish an empire. It is not a warlord that conquers nations.

How can Love lay cities to ashes? This is absurd. It is overzealous, unenlightened warlords with worldly ambitions that lit worlds aflame. It is not the Light.

How can Love subvert and manipulate? This is absurd. It is false dogma’s of foolish arrogant mortals that subvert and manipulate. It is not the Light.

One cannot be “manipulated to believe the Light to be Good”. This is an abuse of concepts. When do we ever call a teacher a manipulator for teaching the uneducated? The Light’s Good is unquestionable. It is beyond doubt. One cannot be manipulated to believe the truth. Absurdity. When the truth is revealed to us, we call this Enlightenment, not deception.

The Light does not crush ambitions. It abolishes illusions. One cannot truly wish what is against the Light, for all creatures move towards it by nature. One can only wish to act against it if one is unenlightened, dragged under by malicious dark shadows. An ambition that denies the Light is not a true ambition, but a mere folly. It is not a true hope; it is despair disguised in the alluring whispers of demons. Folly. Folly and absurdity.

You write: “Your words preach the final paralysis, a stagnant universe in which there is one word alone: the Light.”

Yes.

The Light is the truth.

The truth is stagnant. It is absolute and unchanging.

Denying the truth is folly. A childish rebellion.

Denying the truth, deciding to entertain foolish phantoms instead, that is true childsplay, the abandoning of responsibilities, desertion, weakness and cowardice. One does not embrace the Light in despair. One embraces the Light with an open, hoping hart. It takes courage to fully oneself to the truth; to the Light.

When our loyalties to It are tested, that is when we get to gain true glory trough martyrdom. No proud personal quest for perfection can ever hope to even hope to compare to the glory that is to be had in martyrdom. But you know this. It is well known.

From all of this I can only assume that I, in my naïve and unschooled writings, misinterpreted your letter. It seems that I, against all my best intentions, read slander against the Light and heresy in your words. We both know this to be most foolish indeed; neither of us doubt in the purity of your heart and the benevolence of the Light.

I worry, however, about the state of your proud mind, for hubris is the path of demons.

Watch yourself, Exaythe.

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:19 am

((Basically what I read is "Exaythe is walking path of demons for not completely trusting the Light and submitting herself to its will like a good draenei" ...*scratches head in confusion* did anyone else read it like that?))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 am

((It's a bit more subtle and complicated than that but yes, the main gist of the argument is that pride/hubris is a direct route to demonhood.))

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 am

((And yet...do you not take pride in your work Thelos as a servent of the Light?))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:28 am

Grek'thar/Takarius wrote:((And yet...do you not take pride in your work Thelos as a servent of the Light?))

((It's no secret that Thelos is an Eredar Lord in disguise.))

Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 am

Brother,

I have meant every word I have written. Although every word I have written is something different than every word you have read in my letter. I thank you for pointing out the obvious destination of the road I have been walking, we cannot escape damnation except with Light's aid. Even if I were to succeed in building a Lightless utopia, it would fall prey to the call of the Fel one day.

Perhaps I have allowed my personal feelings towards Sanara and her views to shape my vision of the Light and the Draenei people as a whole.

I have blasphemed and done grave heresy, and I recant what I have said. It is silly to deny the Light and foolish to reject it. A soul cannot indeed be complete without the Light, and the Light shines through others in the world and the kindness they show. The Light cannot desire to rule the universe, because the Light has no desires. It teaches us how to act, not what to do. It are followers of the Light who ascribe such desires to It. To embrace the Light is a sign of strength, not of weakness.

This does not mean that I agree with your or Sanara's views.

I also disagree with your denounciation of 'gods' and 'spirits'. They do not usurp power from the Light and lord over Light's creation, they are part of the cosmic order as much as the Light each governs in their own province. The Light shines through them too.

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:41 am

Grek'thar/Takarius wrote:((And yet...do you not take pride in your work Thelos as a servent of the Light?))

((Nope. Work that is unconditionally devoted to a divinity is not recognized by the agent as his own, but as belonging to said divinity. It is the fundamental instrumentalization of the Self which is diametricly opposed to pride. It is not a concept that is applicible to submission to the divine. Rather than feeling proud at his work for dedicated to the Light, the fundamentalist will feel humbled and grateful to the Light for being allowed the honored to serve It in such a fashion.))

Last edited by Thelos on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 am

((...see this is why I prefer Exaythe. At least her way you're allowed to feel emotions rather than be a blank slate preaching the Light over and over.....ooh! wait! Thelos, there is a flaw in your arguement!

If your work as you say is belonging to the divinity and not your own, then why do require to be an Anchorite? If all the work you do is on the Light's behalf as its will, then you should not require to have a worldly rank to do so. Having a rank would indicate that there -is- a certain amount of pride in your work, otherwise, you would not have accepted that rank in order to further the Light's cause now would you have? *smug heretic grin*))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 am

Grek'thar/Takarius wrote:((...see this is why I prefer Exaythe. At least her way you're allowed to feel emotions rather than be a blank slate preaching the Light over and over.....ooh! wait! Thelos, there is a flaw in your arguement!

If your work as you say is belonging to the divinity and not your own, then why do require to be an Anchorite? If all the work you do is on the Light's behalf as its will, then you should not require to have a worldly rank to do so. Having a rank would indicate that there -is- a certain amount of pride in your work, otherwise, you would not have accepted that rank in order to further the Light's cause now would you have? *smug heretic grin*))

((The way I see it, the title of anchorite is bestowed upon those individuals in society who have achieved a certain degree of enlightenment and insight into the Light and are suited to guide those who have not yet achieved this degree of enlightenment. It is a social marker for convenience's sake, like you call the man who can bake you some fine bread a baker, you call an anchorite an anchorite for sharing his wisdom with you. When you require spiritual aid, you go seek out an anchorite. I dont see how this is necessarily connected with pride. If accepting a title and position on society makes it easier for everyone to reach the Light, where's the pride in that? It's just a logical and convenient thing to do. It is possible of course that feel you would feel a certain ammount of pride after being recognized by the community for showcasing certain merits that benefit it. But that is not a neccesary, logical component of it. After all, a properlys pious man - and we assume that anchorites are amongst the pious on society - would accept the title not because of a desire to be recognized or complimented, but because it allows him to serve the Light and the community better and in a more efficient way.

I'm not sure I actually understood your point though, so you'll have to forgive me for going on a tangent a bit. Keep in mind that Thelos thinks and writes from a fundamentalist religious paradigm of thought. It is not always easy to understand and sympathize with if you're not used to it, but I dare say that most of what he writes, at least in his paradigm, is consistent and solid.))

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:33 am

Grek'thar/Takarius wrote:((Basically what I read is "Exaythe is walking path of demons for not completely trusting the Light and submitting herself to its will like a good draenei" ...*scratches head in confusion* did anyone else read it like that?))

((Yep.

Exaythe's argument is an argument in support of pride and selfishness. Thelos' assumptions are actually dead on when you consider that Exaythe views someone like Drustai as a hero... when Drustai did everything that Thelos has accused Exaythe of wanting to do. Really, after everything I've heard from Exaythe IC over the years, Thelos' accusations are rather appropriate.

As far as the rank... the rank is for the purpose of structure, not pride. One is an anchorite because they have the wisdom to be able to provide spiritual aid and comfort to others, someone whom people know they can go to to rely on. While it would be natural to have some pride for that, such feelings would be a sin. The title is not a reward, it is not for yourself, and an anchorite would be abusing it if they saw it in such a light. Being an anchorite is about helping others.

Remember, it is the foolish man who believes he knows everything. It is the wise man who understands that he knows nothing. Being religious is understanding how to submit one's self to a higher power or calling.))

Vec wrote:[[ Auchenai governed the dead, y'know like Grave keepers.. they don't raise 'em. Well the good Auchenai don't! ]]

((Actually, they did. A good Auchenai raises an army of spirits to help the Alliance rescue Kurdran from the Shadow Council in the Beyond the Dark Portal novel. Additionally, the Auchenai used soul mirrors to commune with the dead, which is also necromancy.

They didn't raise rotting zombies, no, but they did do other forms of necromancy.))

Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 am

Dear Exaythe,

I have recently been given a most peculiar seed: the acorn of one of Crystalsong Forest’s namesake crystal trees. It was a gift from the archmage Arenfel; he noticed I had taken a keen interest in the crystal trees, which of course, given the significance of crystals in our society and everyday life was hardly a surprise!

I potted some Terrokar soil and planted the acorn in this nice simple yet elegant pot. It’s quite spacious, but when the tree would outgrow it, I had planned to plant it somewhere on the Aldor Rise. It would look lovely just outside of the Naaruvada temple! Just imagine how A’dal’s Light would break through it, basking passerby’s in a soft violet glow…

Majestic!

Problem is that the darn thing hasn’t grown an inch since I planted it! Not even as much as a sprout – and it’s been a month now! I’ve watered it every day an always put it on the sunniest places, though given my current location, those are very rare indeed, and sunny in Shadowmoon equals twilight anywhere else. Regardless, I had expected some growth at least! I haven’t even seen a simple stalk peek out of the dirt! Do you have an idea what my little acorn could possiblybe lacking? You don't suppose it already died, do you? Oh I would very much dread that! Can it not travel through portals? Or perhaps the soil isn’t as rich in nutrients or minerals as the Crystalsong soil? If so, I would appreciate it if you could send me some when you next visit Dalaran. I would really very much like to see a crystaltree in full bloom on the Aldor Rise. Or perhaps it needs the fertile soil of Darnassus; the lushous supper of the worldtrees?

Regards,

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 am

Dear Thelos,

The Crystal trees of Crystalsong Forest has been dead for much longer than ten thousand years. Crystalsong was a regular borean forest before a battle between the Blue Dragonflight and the corrupted Black Dragonflight long before the Sundering and the War of the Ancients. The crystalline nature of the forest is a result of powerful frost-magic.

I am afraid your seed cannot grow, because it is not alive. Closest equivalent would be to try and grow a fossilized seed; the life is long snuffed out, what is left is only a frozen likeness.

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top