[IC] The Draenic Generation Gap: Corrospondence between Exaythe and Thelos.

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[IC] The Draenic Generation Gap: Corrospondence between Exaythe and Thelos.

Post by Thelos on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 am

Greetings everyone, After having discussed it with Melnerag, we have agreed to open up the corrospondence between Exaythe and Thelos to you, the good people of Defias Brotherhood. Cheers!

Letter from Exaythe, Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 12:59

Brother,

You have asked me to tell you what I believe in and I could not answer sufficiently. Perhaps it were the medication or the pain, perhaps I simply cannot discuss such things in a spoken conversation. I write to you to finally answer your question and to confess to a grave sin.

First of all I believe in Life. Life is precious and worth preserving, every life is unique. Killing any sapient creature is akin to destroying a universe. To me, loss of life is one of the saddest moments; doubly so when loss of life is not the result of an accident or warfare born of ignorance, but a calculated decision. It is a great tragedy when good men are forced to make such choices. I had to make them myself many times, and I feel that I have failed every person I sentenced to die. I remember their names and they visit me in my nightmares. I cannot forgive myself.

I believe in Life and I believe in people. I believe that each one of us has a potential for great good; but that is not the important thing. It is easy to love the potential in others. I love other people for what they are; I am yet to encounter a person who is devoid of admirable traits. No man has ever lived without suffering and struggle to overcome obstacles in his life, and these hardships have shaped them and left their mark. What they are is shaped by these experiences. It is a great privilege, once you befriend them, to be let in on the secret of their past and see them in a new light. Every person is the protagonist of his own story, and must be judged by his own standards.

We are all in this together; ‘good’ and ‘evil’, pure and corrupt, weak and strong. Of all virtues, the ability to accommodate others has to be the greatest. I cannot imagine a homogeneous world and I know in my heart that it will never come. Diversity is here to stay. There will always be those who cannot overcome their urges and fears and succumb to them, there will always be those who overcome all challenge and strive on into the Light. There is only one person in this whole world you can change – yourself. We must simply try to exemplify our beliefs and let those around us be inspired and affect their own transformation. You cannot teach against another person’s will.

I believe in harmony – in order that accommodates many and unites them in their diversity and encourage them to change themselves; not because they must, not because they are pressed by their peers, but because they want to and believe it to be right. Gentleness, compassion, openness, honesty, charity, respect, understanding, integrity, love and altruism are the traits that are needed for a harmonious society. Justice is not an end onto itself, justice is subservient to harmony. All justice is violence, as it forces the will of many upon the one. Personal desire for atonement and a selfless surrender in the name of penance are the only true, pure justice.

Yet that is another tragedy of life, we are not pure enough to live without violence. To sustain Harmony we must sometimes strike against it, resorting to violence to enforce justice. I see no other way. But even in resorting to violence we must stay true to the end-goal; justice is not vengeance. Justice must bring about reconciliation between the perpetrator and the victim, justice must restore the wounds inflicted and justice must ensure the perpetrator never repeats his offense again. Ah, if only all who commit crimes saw their own mistakes and sought to atone!

In the cold darkness of this cosmos, subject to uncaring laws of nature and cruelty of chance, we are each other’s only hope – a sea of candles that illuminates the dark. Without us, there will be no light – no hope. Realizing this is the greatest wisdom. We must take care of each other and treat each other accordingly. Each one of us is an end in himself, a library full of knowledge, a masterful artwork worth admiring.

I think that I see the tragedy of life. For all our potential for good, we are weak and fallible. The tragedy is that the world is unaccommodating of our hopes. Hopes are shattered, dreams sink like boats and men see no way out and succumb to sin. When the whole cold grimness weights down on your shoulders, the easy way seems the only way. At such times men who have the strength to keep hope and dream while at the same time staying in the real world become leaders. Theirs is a lonely path, they must walk both worlds and get lost in neither. They must know when there is no way but violence and take responsibility for its employment and stand ready to face the consequences.

I am no leader, but I had to endure that; I found myself in a position when others looked to me for leadership and I have given all I had to them, and I live to this day with the consequences of my deeds and pray for someone to hold me accountable. But even here I am alone, left to be my own judge and my own executioner, with guilt and shame my only true companions.

Here I am, unwilling to surrender my dreams and abandon hope, yet unable to bring them to fulfillment. I chose to walk a lonely path, and I walk it alone indeed. Many looked to me for leadership, but I am not ready to provide it – I am too young to provide it, but I am not cruel enough to disappoint them either. And so I continue, making decisions no-one has the right to make and taking the full responsibility for these choices, and for the lives of those they affect, upon my shoulders. And so I remain, alone, un-judged, unpunished – striding into unknown and praying that the consequences can keep up and one day consume me, putting an end to my life and give me the gift of oblivion. Yet even here I am disappointed, I stand between armies demanding peace, tend to the wounded in the eye of the storm and walk unarmed into the lion’s den – death, somehow, refuses to follow me.

Is it my punishment or my reward?

Did some deity decree that I must carry my burdens until the stars go dark as a punishment for my sins, or did It decide that it is not my time and I must carry the burden simply because I can. Perhaps it is just chance after all.

I have challenged fate and went against impossible odds, yet now I found a new enemy – myself. Being tied to a bed has given me time to think. In all these years of stumbling in the dark, was it the Light that lit my way, or was it something else? I lied to myself, pretending that I believe in the Light – but I do not. I never saw the Light as an end – simply as a means to an end. Whose end? I always thought it was Light’s end, but after I saw your faith and conviction I know that I have only ever followed my own ends. I hope that this admission –to myself first of all—will be a victory with some meaning, it certainly feels that all I have ever achieved before this was but an illusion.

After I dared admit that I have abandoned the way of our people, I felt free again. Light, steady, secure. I am once again certain of the force that guides me and of the destination I wish to go. Ironically, I find strength in this apostasy. I know that what we have achieved is only temporary. Every civilization that limits its own power will one day be conquered by a less restricted one; every advanced civilization will one day fall to its own corruption. Even if we defeat the Legion today, one day our descendants will give rise to a new Legion.

What we have now and today is all that matters. I believe that we must try to act with virtue and find joy and comfort in the present. That is what I will devote my life to – making the present worth living in and trying to inspire others to dare to hope and dream. I am done with theology and argument; I resolve to simply act and let my deeds speak for me.

Forgive me for letting down our people, and squandering the gift of the Naaru.

Exaythe,
No longer an anchoress.

---

Re: [IC] Letter from Exaythe, Wed 14 Mar 2012 - 17:59

The Light loves all who love, and all who love, love the Light.

-Thelos.

---

[IC] Another letter from Exaythe, Tue 20 Mar 2012 - 11:37

Dear brother,

I have meditating at some length to calm my mind in this storm. Ideas floated before my mind’s eye, but I have let them pass. It was only several hours after the meditation that my mind has finally made sense of everything that has passed before it. It made me wonder about ideals .

I choose to believe that the Holy Light fills our hearts with its love and goodness, and imprints on us its timeless ideals.
But what happens when we, not-so-humble meatbags open our mouths or reach for a quill and state some ‘ideal’ in words? It is an admirable endeavor of a free and inspired soul to seek harmony and signs of order in this cosmos, it is a journey of discovery worth taking and worth following. But what of those who actually believe in the ideal they have just coded in words and symbols? Is it not the pinnacle of hubris to think that a few sways of the quill or a few sounds escaping your mouth can, and above all should, place constraints on the universe and give it shape? I believe it is.

If one cannot trust words and writings to relay the true ideals, then how else is one supposed to find and express them? I believe that we must look to the source , to the Light’s song in our hearts. That is the beginning and the end of the search. Any attempt to find ideals in words or writings, or light-forbid, through reasoning will lead one away from the simple purity at best, at worst it will spawn the likes of the Chapter of Holy Anethion.

What of expressing the ideals? I now incline to believe that action is the only way to do so. By acting in a certain way you affirm to the whole wide world the goodness of the act you perform. If you follow the Light in your heart and let your actions, not words, testify to Light’s ideals then you will act as a beacon to others who may draw inspiration from your deeds. Unlike rules and laws, actions are always situational. There is no way to generalize action. We meatbags have an uncanny ability to pick up the smallest cues around us, those who look to the actions of the enlightened and take them for what they are, not try to analyze them or find underlying principles in them, will themselves be more inclined to act as enlightened and in doing so draw closer to the Light in their heart until at last they can find the holiness within, rather than without, and become enlightened.

But what if the Light is not the sole source of ideals? Whom do the Kal’dorei invite into their hearts? The Orcs? The Tauren? The Gnomes? The unbelievers? Is there any reason to assume that if there are other sources of ideals, that the Light should have precedence over them? Where does one look for guidance when there are so many alternatives on offer, ranging from divine to philosophical to even just your own self-made opinions? I believe that one thing remains true regardless. Our actions still reinforce the ideals they embody. We have a double responsibility. We are responsible for making our choices with no true guidance, we must use our own judgment and experience and live with the consequences; we are also responsible to the ideals we embody in our actions, our deeds strengthen and confirm an ideal.

A man who in all his dealings acts according to the Law, contributes to the authority of the Law and is responsible for all those who are inspired by that authority and in their turn act always according to the Law.

We build our world with our deeds; not just the material world, but the world of ideals and principles of good and evil or lack thereof. We are shaped by the world and we shape it in turn. In conformity and in rebellion, in silence and in action. Everything we do is an expression of the ever-shifting front on which ideals rise to the foreground or vanish in obscurity.
I feel that responsibility, but I do not know where to turn for guidance.

Perhaps I should simply ignore the promises of truth and easy solutions and turn to this very sense of responsibility into my guide? But I am afraid of where it may lead me. I pray that you are right, brother, and those who follow their heart will be led to the Light. Even if the Light is not the only outcome of this journey, it is certainly very far indeed from being the worst. If the road that led me away from the Light leads me back to it, then so be it. I shall travel it regardless, true to myself.

Good health,
Exaythe

---

Re: [IC] Another letter from Exaythe, Tue 20 Mar 2012 - 13:33

Exaythe,

Remember Argus.

-Thelos.

---

To Exaythe "Helen of Elwynn" the Abjurer, Mon 26 Mar 2012 - 10:32

Dear Exaythe,

...Or should I say "Helen of Elwyn?" I would have addressed this letter to her, if I wasn't absolutely positive that there would be no one there to recieve it. Next time you write Draenic wisdom with the pen of a Human, be sure sister to at least mention the Three Virtues in passing. Any learned individual can easily pierce such a thin guise - Though, perhaps, this was your intention? Or were you simply unaware that your words resonate so strongly with Dreanic tradition? Did you realise that your Holy Champion resembles the ideal Vindicator with eerie precision?

In private, you declare your apostasy, yet in the public space you continue to preach the Light. You argue that Its Will and Love cannot be put in words; yet you formulate Its Grace more eloquently than I have seen done in years.

Yet, you may not be aware. You may not be aware of the origin of your thoughts. Do not be afraid, Exaythe, of your heritage. Your wording of the Light's Greatest Gifts strongly reminds me of the words of Anchorites of old. Take one Anchorte, Kuaan the Redeemed, who wrote:

How do we ward our souls from the forces of Darkness? Only the soul in which the Light shines luminously will be protected from evil. And how does one nourish their inner Light? By acting in accordance with Its Will and doing good in the world. How do we know its will? By materializing it. Only by doing good do we grow more sensitive to the Light’s faint whispers, and only by listening to Its whispers and heeding Its loving guidance do we learn how to do good. Listening and acting, acting and listening; these two reinforce and strengthen one another, and both fuel the spark of Light to set the soul ablaze. This Sacred Wheel of deed and thought, once properly put in motion, will spark the inner Light and will fuel it until the soul becomes a Beacon of Light.

This was written not long after the Revelation, aboard K'ure's ship.

And as long as I ask you to be honest and claim autorship of your own writings, yes, this passage was written by yours truly, shortly after I completed my initial training and was inducted into the first ever Draenic priesthood dedicated to propagating the Naaru's teachings. I am Kuaan the Redeemed, as I have been many others, and will be many more.

The Sacred Wheel of Deed and Thought

...Do not tell me this is the first time you have heard of this, Exaythe? It would bring great shame upon me and my generations of anchorites if it were the case. It would mean little more, or little less, than the fact that we have failed you.

It is, I think, the essence of your little short story, Exaythe. The blissfull fading of false-conditioned things: indeed, it is what the Naaru teach us. That no writing, no theory, no doctrine is a substitude for the Light. The aim, the aim of all souls in fact, is to find unison with the Divine; or as it is more commonly said, Unison with the Light, or Unity under the Light. Did you mean these were just hollow greetings, Exaythe? A simple synonym for "Goodbye, farewell, see ya later?"

No. Your history is rich in wisdom.

Discipline, patience and faith: These are typical Draenic virtues, Exaythe. Discipline: the mastery over the self, the warding of the soul of hindrances and distractions, the perfection of thought and body; Patience, a typical Draenic formulation in that it describes the Virtue which the Humans sometimes call Tenacity from the point of view of individual enlightenment and perfection; and Faith, the absolute and brightest gift of the Naaru, that which all of worth is rooted, and all that is evil is without.

What are these, Discipline, Patience and Faith, positive formulations of?

The Great Hindrances.

A Draenei knows that, when all conditioned and false things fade away, there is only the Soul, the Light, and that which stands between them; the Darkness, the Hindrances. It is the purpose of the Anchorite to aid those souls who dwell in Darkness in freeing themselves from their Hindrances. Purging the Darknesses. An Anchorite's guidance is gentle. He steers, directs; he cures, but he never forces. He never forces because the Inner Light's Voice is Sacred; to prevent a Soul from acting upon Its love is the greatest sacrilige. The Light's Voice is the holiest of holies. To blaspheme against it is the greatest sin.

This, my dear Exaythe, is why I have never prevented you from acting against the Kirin Tor, or against myself. Not once in these recent weeks have I prevented you from acting upon your conscience. I see the Light burn brightly in your eyes and shine trough your actions. To be sure, when one knows that a Soul is about to undertake actions that, even though they are granted by the Light, will cause the Soul to sin greatly and act against it: then we may act to prevent this paradox. It is one of the greatest, Exaythe, the greatest moral dilemma's: the Paradox of the Inner Light, if you will. When a soul is lead to a certain action by the Light, only to disgrace It by performing it. It puts a great strain on the Enlightened. We never prevent someone from acting upon their Inner Light without feeling a great sense of loss and sorrow.

How is this possible, Exaythe? It is simple. The Light does not speak trough our actions, or even our thoughts. It speaks directly to our heart. It shines brightly in the centre of the soul; yet, to pass into the world, it must pass the Mind and the Body, and always it is murked and muddled by these Dark influences. Only be ensuring that our minds are clear and our bodies are sound can we ensure the safe passage of the Light into our worlds. And that, Exaythe, is our Sacred Duty.

The Light's love is absolute. Its compassion; endless. Its patience; timeless. But you know this - you have always known this, and will always know it, in unity in the Light, and seperated from it.

Are you afraid of your peers, Exaythe?

Are you afraid of your elders?

Do not be afraid. Our love for you, like the love of the Light, is endless. It is unconditional. It is eternal.

Sometimes an anchorite may get forceful; when he believes that it is his duty to pervent you from blaspheming against the Light. I can sense, however, that you feel the same tension I do; the tension between respect and awe for the Light in others, and the Light at large. When can we justly prevent others from acting in the name of a greater Light? We could only justify this wholly, Exaythe, if we were Gods ourselves. But we are not. We are mortals desperately trying to divine the Will of our benefactor.

This is why the Draenei people, with our proud Vindicators leading the charge, prefer to teach by example, like you so poignantly put it in your book. Light begets Light, as Darkness begets Darkness, and we must make ourselves Beacons of Light to guide the souls of our peers trough the dark night to the haven of Light. The brightest beacons are, of course, the Naaru; why do you think they speak so little and sing so much, Exaythe? It is because the essence of their Being can only be felt trough song, which speaks directly to the heart. So, too, does inspiration operate; we inspire others not trough their minds, at least not directly, but by speaking to their hearts.

Removing distractions and hindrances, drilling discipline, learning patience, aquiring faith; all this to prepare our vessels to do the Light's bidding - And then, as we do it; inspiring others to do the same. A strong soul is a soul filled with Light, and said Light begets more Light in others; these are the two pillars of draenic faith, as thought by the Naaru. Their Great Gifts.

You are not alone, Exaythe, you are not alone in your thoughts, nor are you alone in your deeds. Does this upset you? If that is the case, then I must apoligize. But if it does upset you - rrather than to comfort you like it has comforted so many others - I have to ask, as many others have asked you before - why do you persist in denying your legacy? Are you afraid to be a Draenei? Emberassed? Even when your thoughts coincide with the Greats of old - Even as you act as your ancestors would have wanted you to act - you still deny them? Why? You cause me great sorrow in doing so, Exaythe. Is this how you awnser our love? With a cold shoulder? We love you so, Exaythe, as we love all the Light's beloved creatures, yet you deny us. Why is this? Was it the actions of the few that caused you to reject the many? Surely a rational creature such as you would never entertain such a trite and childish notion?

We will be here, Exaythe, always; you carry us in your hearts, wittingly or not. I pray that one day you will allow others to carry you in their hearts also.

With love,

-Thelos.

Last edited by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Re: [IC] The Draenic Generation Gap: Corrospondence between Exaythe and Thelos.

Post by Melnerag on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 am

To Thelos 30th of March, 11:04

Thank you.

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 am

To Exaythe, 3th of April, 11:42

Exaythe,

What is a draenei?

Blue skin, tails, hooves and horns.

That is the body which the spirit inhabits. The body is the necessary anchor of the soul. It connects us to this world, trough it to others, and trough them to the Light. A single soul in solitude cannot reach the Light. Its Voice speaks to us in terms of the Other. Altruism. Us, the Selves, are asked by It to serve the Other in Its Hallowed Name.

But what is the Other? How does it differ from the Self? What is the Self?

The Self is not the Other, and the Other is not the Self.

The Soul drifts amidst a rapid current of impressions, feelings, sensations, thoughts and ideas. Now it drifts east, then it drifts west. Now it submerges, only to emerge a moment later. We feel anger, love, hatred, jealousy, kindness, courage, fear and so forth. These are all currents of the soul's waters. They mercilessly tow us to and fro.

We drift, yes, it is true – We drift. But this is not a state of Being the arrogant Self can accept. “Surely,” the Warrior and the Nobleman interject, “I am the captain of my ship. Yes, my ship may sail on a certain current, and be directed by this wind or the other – but certainly I am at Its wheel. I am the captain of my own ship, and Its direction is mine and my own to decide.”

Oh! You poor unfortunate soul, you!

The Ship of the Soul has no wheel.

Nor sails or a rudder of any sorts.

The Soul is more akin to scattered pieces of flotsam, drifting in the current.

How great, then, must the suffering of the self-proclaimed captain be who steers his wheel-less ship. He steers port, yet the current takes him starboard. He steers starboard, yet the current shifts back to port again. Ah! But no, he says, “I steer starboard, and the ship takes me there. I command, and it follows.”

Unfortunate soul, you! It is not so. For it is first the current that takes the ship starboard – then the captain who concludes that he had meant to steer that way to salvage his own illusions. The illusion is precious – the illusion must be preserved. Yet starboard is starboard – the direction is set, unchangeable. What creates the Illusion of the Wheel is just that – the false belief that there is a causal chain between the thought and the action. It is not so.

“Hogwsash!” the noble warrior proclaims, “Doth not I in my mind decide to strike down my foe, before I bring down my blade?” Oh, you poor unfortunate soul! It is not so. When all illusions disperse into the mists, you will see that it was the blade that came down on another body, and the thought that followed it. The warrior strikes; then contemplates.

“This is absurd,” the nobleman says, “This may be the case for the instinctive actions – breathing, blinking and the movements of brutes – but certainly not for sophisticated affairs!”
Ah! You poor unfortunate soul! What is true for the pieces, is true for the whole. A building made out of bricks is made out of stone if the bricks were made of stone. What are these so called sophisticated thoughts that are followed by sophisticated actions if not conglomerates of countless simple tasks and ideas?

The Self is the great Spectator. It is not the captain at the Wheel – it is the stowaway adrift on his raft, nay, without It even, under constant siege of merciless winds, currents and waves. The Self observes the happenings of the Soul, and out of helplessness, thinks himself a Captain on a ship. He thinks himself above his Thoughts and Actions – an overseer, a commander – yet, in truth, he is but an Observer.

The Soul, then, is a vast ocean, in which many currents, winds and rapids rage. These rages are actions, ideas, perceptions – all of the impressions that present themselves to the Self. Then what of the Oceans of the Others? Where doth one sea start and the other end?

You will say the boundary of the Self separates us. My Ocean with its rapids are only presented to Myself, and not the Other.

But is this truly so?

Think what a pitiful existence that would be! We would be adrift, countless Souls separated from one another, forever, alone in the vast black void.

Thankfully, this is not so.

During our drift we encounter countless of torrents and winds that hail from other Oceans. How often do we found ourselves moved by waves of Beyond? Lo! These winds that blow trough my Soul are the very same that blow trough Yours. Do we, then, drift towards a common haven?

We do.

We drift towards the haven of Light.

If the same winds blow trough My Ocean as Yours, what then is it that still separates us? The Self, you will say. Yet, if you follow me – as you should, be the Light merciful – you know the Self to be but an observer. What say you, child, if I were to say that the Self not only wrongly thinks himself a captain on a ship, rather than a drifter – but is wrong in thinking himself at all?

The Self is an Illusion.

The Self is the most powerful Illusion. The most enduring one. The beautiful Illusion. The splendid lull of Darkness. It is the waking sleep and the sleeping wake.

Lo! The waters that rage trough you and me are the same.

Lo! The winds that blow trough my Soul blow trough yours also.

Lo! If my soul drifts east, so does yours, and when the current changes, so do the drifters.

There are no drifters.

There are no separate oceans.

One sea flows into the other, as the other flows back in to it.

The distinctions between them are arbitrary and illusory.

Properly understood and purged of illusions, all Souls share a common stream of thoughts and perceptions. Properly understood, the Direction is the same. Properly understood, there is no Manifold of Souls, but only One Soul.

The Soul is All, and All is Soul.

The Ocean is Darkness.

The winds and currents are manifold. Some of them are Dark winds, that blow us from, and some are Blessed winds, that blow us to, the Haven of Light.

The destinations are two – the Haven, which is eternal bliss and a reunion with the Most Hallowed Light, and the vast Ocean, which is the endless deep of Darkness, in every way a foil to the Light. The Haven is the High Heavens, the eternal Sun and Stars, the Darkness is the lonely Ocean Trenches. The Light is beautiful, the Darkness is terrible. The Light is peace and tranquility, the Darkness is war and suffering.

The Haven of Light shines ever Brightly.

It is That which Pierces the Dark.

The Self is an illusory shadow, created when the Light breaks the Darkness.

The stream flows to the Light by nature, but everywhere and every time it is slowed and pulled down as the Darkness turns and churns to prevent the Righteous Course.

Enlightenment is when the Soul reaches the Haven. When it does, all will be well, for eternity.

If the Soul ever gets fully drawn under, all will be lost in terrible lonely Darkness, for eternity.

What, then, are We? What is Our purpose? What does this all entail?

We are on a perilous journey to the Haven of Light. Sadly, the beautiful illusion of the Self is nigh unbreakable. It is an Illusion which is more powerful than reality. Its hold is absolute.

Though we know all Souls to be One – we experience them as separate.

Though we know our struggle to be unified – we squirm and squabble amongst ourselves, ugly and wicked parcels of a beautiful whole.

Is is unsightly.

Can we not transcend the struggle of selves? Are there no ways to pierce the veil?

There is One.

The way of the Light.

Just as a single lit torch can reveal the truth of a cave hidden in Darkness, so can the Light pierce the illusions of the Self.

Doth not the Light command us to be altruistic?

Doth not the Light teach us to be empathic, to feel the Self in the Other, and the Other in the Self?

Doth not the Light teach us to sacrifice ourselves, to but the needs of the many above the needs of the few?

The Light batters endlessly on the foul citadel of the Self. Only by embracing it and lowering the gates can we transcend our mortal folly to rise from the Darkened deeps.

The Light has been shattered by Darkness, but it can mend itself.

It will mend Itself.

It shall mend itself.

The Darkness is no match for a Light that is whole.

There is but One Soul.

There is but One Light.

There is Darkness.

The Darkness shatters the Soul.

This Shattering is the Illusion of Self.

Only the Light may pierce this Illusion.

In piercing it, the Darkness is conquered.

Without Darkness, there is only Light.

Where there is only Light, there is no suffering.

All shall be well in the Light.

In Darkness, all is wrong.

By the Grace of the Naaru and the Wisdom of the Prophet, we shall choose the Light.

The Light is the Way.

The Light shall pierce the veil.

The Light shall kill the Self.

The Light shall deliver upon us perfect harmony in unison with It.

By the Naaru, may it be so.

P.S - I have left for Shadowmoon. Send letters to the Altar of Sha'tar.

Light's eternal Love,

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 am

Dear brother,

The text of your letter is very interesting. I don’t know if I should read it literally or figuratively, and which of the two readings is your intention. If it is figurative, then it resonates deeply with me and challenges me to look at my life, the Light and the world in a different way. The lessons one can learn are complicated and profound, and I know that I will have to read it and meditate upon it for years to come close to exhausting its wisdom.

Literal reading of the text is false. If the text is meant as a literal explanation of the world, then I cannot help but shudder at the thought what mind could have ever spawned such abomination! Who can the world so much as to reject most of it? Who can hate life so much as to reduce it to an incarnation of some grand cosmic battle?

First of all, I do not know any entity called ‘Darkness’ but from the context I have to assume the author means the Shadow. If so, he reduced the whole world to just two divine entities while completely ignoring the Fel and the Arcane (and all derivatives of the Arcane). I cannot help but think of a color-blind man trying to understand Quel’dorei expressive arts! The world is not just Light and Shadow. For me, that already makes the text crack and shatter and I cannot help but reject its literal interpretation.

What of Free Will and the Self? I wish I could write down an undeniable proof of the existence of free will, but I cannot. Simply believe that it exists. I believe that I am responsible for my actions and bear the burden to learn from my mistakes and salvage the future even if I have failed in the past. I can change myself. Yes, the Light and Shadow call and whisper and offer to carry me along. But is my choice just about Light or Shadow? I believe that it is not. On several occasions the experiences and insignificant descision of my life led me to something, and those little things were not about Light or Shadow (unless you accept some precognition of consequences down the line). I am almost certain that the Light does not whisper those far-reaching consequences to our hearts every breath of our lives.

The Self? If the Self is an illusion, then so is everything else in existence. The author seems to deny reality of anything, it is no surprise he sweeps the self away as well. What is ‘reality’ anyway? I can’t answer those questions, and I feel that the author has simply rushed over them to make is point with any regard for the truth and the complexity of the issue. I do know that this is not a question for a priest, this is a question for a mage to consider. Is the Twisting Nether the ‘ultimate reality’, can you call perpetual and chaotic change ‘existence’? I don’t know.

I think you have already noticed that I do not see the Light as the reality but as a part of reality. I am also very cautious in assigning to the Light any ‘supreme’ position among the cosmic and the divine forces. Although blasphemous, I don’t believe that the soul ‘returns to the Light’ either. Why would a soul, that is composed of so many elements return to only one of them? Of course, part of the soul would return to ‘the Light’. But all of it? But I suppose that a virtuous man has transformed his being to be more akin to the Light, and most of his soul would join with the Light upon death.
I also reject victory of Light over Darkness. If Darkness is Shadow, then such victory would be paradoxical because it will rob the universe of one of its constituent parts. Light winning over Shadow is like one leg of a three-legged table breaking another. If Darkness means Fel, then I suppose this victory is possible. In a way. We can cast out the Fel from our world, but we can never bring order to the whole of the Twisting Nether (which is assumed infinite in scope).

I do concede this, Light and Shadow are the two forces that influence our descision the most. There are cases when we must listen to the one or the other, and free will is an illusion in these times…we cannot help but be moved and directed by these forces. But what can one say about the influence of these two in the end if a neutral action of picking an apple off a tree and taking it along on a journey can save you from dehydration three days from now? Surely it wasn’t the Light or the Shadow that guided the choice to pluck it! I’ve seen too often how small and neutral choices dictate the future, the world ruled over by Light and Darkness is unreal in the light of these experiences. Yes, when shove comes to push and small details lead to a significant choice…it will be the Light and Shadow which fight over the direction.

Let the mages puzzle out the nature of reality and let the anchorites guide us to a better life and union with the Light. A priest using the Light to give a short-hand explanation of the universe is as bad as a mage guiding us in daily life.

I admit that I wouldn’t mind being both.

I feel very humbly about the Light and do not sense any urge to shove it to the foreground of reality. I don’t feel a particular desire to have the Light as Supreme Element or cast the whole world in black and white. Most choices aren’t really about Light or Shadow, but about a bitter mix of the two where one can merely dose the components, not exclude them. I love the world the way it is, even if it is sometimes painful.

If anybody tells me that it is somehow my purpose to reach union with the Light, I have to ask “Why?” Why isn’t union with Shadow equally valid? Why can’t I find my purpose in understanding the nature of reality, expressing deepest emotions with art and creating and spreading order? The Light is its own proof, brother. Those who follow it require no further evidence; those who do not follow it cannot be swayed by any proof – because there is no proof outside of the Light.

If being born a Draenei condemns me to being obliged to follow and embrace the Light, then I reject that duty. I want to follow the Light because my heart yearns towards it, not because of the circumstances of my birth.

And I swear, if those who do not choose the Light somehow draw a short straw and are ‘punished’ in some contrived way then I will deliberately avoid the Light to protest against this cosmic injustice. I require no promises of reward or threats of punishment to follow my heart.

Forgive me if literal reading was never your intention, but an attempt to read this literally has shocked me so deeply that I could not remain silent.

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Exaythe,

The literal is in the figurative.

The distinction is false.

Love,

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 pm

interesting ... and funny lol. Thelos' one line replies in response to exaythe's paragraphs and paragraphs of prose hahaha

Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 am

Reality is real.

I don’t know why you cannot love the Light that is a part of world, not an entity with the sole claim to reality. I don’t know why you can’t follow the Light that is one of many roads in life, and not the sole road to some miraculous salvation.

Why must you project that which is at the core of your heart also to the core of existence? If you worshipped Fire, would Fire be the true reality? If you worshipped Water, would water be the true reality?
Bringing light into the world and seeking union with the Light is one and the same, difference is just in the choice of words. But you do always place your emphasis on this mystic union and not on what followers of the Light can do to help others in this world.

Why do you reject reality, Thelos? Is the world truly unbearable for you that you seek to escape it?

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:16 am

Sister,

Reality is real, and the truth is truly true.

I do not reject reality, Exaythe. I reject the illusion which you have come to call 'reality'. The irony of your statement is that you accuse me of rejecting reality to escape into an illusion – while it is you that rejects reality in favor of a beautiful and rich illusion. It is true, the truth is sober, while the illusions are beautiful and enticing. This has always been the Darkness's greatest weapon. You reject the Divine Truth of the Light, the One Truth, and instead comfort yourself with a petty and arbitrary world.

You write: “First of all, I do not know any entity called ‘Darkness’ but from the context I have to assume the author means the Shadow.”

This betrays a shallow interpretation of the text, one that, rather than to stay on the abstract and pure level, immediately falls down to sully itself with worldly illusions. I will however attempt to explain the highly complicated concept of Darkness, though I suspect you have already been taught this many times over by many capable and patient anchorites.

The Darkness is all that would prohibit the Light of actualizing itself in this world. All and everything. By nature, the stream of consciousness drifts towards the Light. All life does. However, everywhere in this world there is Darkness in the way. The temptations of the flesh are Darknesses. Illusions and false thoughts are Darknesss. The Five Hindrances are darknesses. Individuality is a Darkness, for the body is a shadow of The Soul, of which the mind is the shadow of a shadow.

The Soul casts many shadows in this world. The Light breaks as soon as it shines trough Dark Things. Regrettably, It is shattered into many tiny parcels. The state of consciousness we are in is flawed and broken. We experience but a parcel of the whole Divine Truth – but more on that later. As you can see, equating the Darkness with Shadow is far too quick and simple. The Darkness is better describe as 'Antilight', or 'Unenlightenment'. It is the deep rift in the Ocean of consciousness that threatens to pull Us under.

It is true, I gloss over many other so called powers you might experience in this world, but I only do so because they are arbitrary and insignificant. I gloss over Arcane, I gloss over Shadow, I gloss over Fel, I gloss over many things which are of little importance. They are but Shadows, Exaythe, playthings of the idle mind, floating on the margins of the creative intellectual brain.

Now, let me ask you a question.

How did you come to form the reality you now so feverishly defend? How does this word present itself to you? Impressions, ideas, thoughts, sensations. All these things stream trough your consciousness, presenting themselves as a complicated manifold. 'Your' consciousness however is in itself only an arbitrary selection of the greater collective consciousness. That which is presented to you is only an insignificant and randomly selected parcel of the collective. A mere drop in the ocean.

It is ludicrous to me why you would ascribe a greater lever of reality to the world of the individual, than to the world of the collective.

You ask: “Why must you project that which is at the core of your heart also to the core of existence?”.

It is simple, Exaythe; precisely because it is not. The Light is at the core of existence at itself, not just in any arbitrary heart, but in the heart of all, weaving those individual parcels you value so highly together to a more beautiful whole. Apart we are weak, sinful, alone. Together we are strong, beautiful and pious. The Light allows us to transcend our flawed state of consciousness to see a Greater Truth.

Together we are Light; think of the proverb “The soul is a drop of rain falling into the river which leads to the Golden Sea.” The individuals are but drops, the collective is a river. You reject the reality of the river in favor of the drops. You say: “No, there is no river, there are only drops”. I say: “The drops are an illusion, the river is an illusion, there is only the Golden Sea.” How can you believe in the Golden Sea, while rejecting the river? How can a single drop on its own reach the ocean?

You write: “If you worshiped Fire, would Fire be the true reality? If you worshiped Water, would water be the true reality?”.

This is just plain insulting, Exaythe, and needlessly provocative. We worship the Light because it as at the core of existence, the Only One Truth, the One Path of the One Soul, not because we worship it, not the other way around. You've got it mixed up.

You write: “Bringing Light into the world and seeking union with the Light is one and the same, difference is just in the choice of words. But you do always place your emphasis on this mystic union and not on what followers of the Light can do to help others in this world.”

Indeed: there is no distinction! Are you so haughty that to think that you are the only recipient of my thoughts and words? Yes, to you, I mainly talk of the transcending fabric, the reality – because you sorely need it, Exaythe. Your intellectual chauvinism has lead you to stray away from the Naaru's teachings time and time again and has lead you to entertain many heretical thoughts. You reject the reality you feel and has been revealed to you in favor of Its Shadows, that which you can see and understand, just because you can understand it. It is intellectual chauvinism to glorify the petty struggle of the mind to understand the Shadows that present itself to it. Meaningless pride. A Darkness.

You write: “I don’t know why you cannot love the Light that is a part of world, not an entity with the sole claim to reality. I don’t know why you can’t follow the Light that is one of many roads in life, and not the sole road to some miraculous salvation.”

Have you gone mad, Exaythe? I wrote ”Remember Argus” many moons ago to talk you out of this ludicrous idea. The Naaru's Grace and Revelation are absolute, it is the only way to salvation, and straying from that path is the way of Darkness. Are you so haughty that you can think you can brave the temptations of Fel and Darkness on your own? Do you think your little ego is big enough to overcome and purge Evil? Have you no respect for your ancestry? Learn from your ancestors. You are an eredar, a weak and sinful eredar, of a race that has shown itself to be most sensitive to the temptations of Darkness. The glorification of the Self and its many pleasures and playthings is the way of the Legion. Do not join your red-skinned brethren, Exaythe.

Alone we are weak and sinful.

Together we are strong and pious.

Our souls are intimately connected trough the Light, and the straying of one is the straying of all.

The darkening of one soul is the darkening of all.

The enlightenment of one soul is the enlightenment of all.

You write: “What of Free Will and the Self?”

Playthings of the idle mind. It is true, the Illusions of Free Will and the Self are nigh unbreakable. That is why it is called the beautiful illusion. The absolute illusion. The illusion which is more powerful than the truth. There is a great many things to be said about the paradigm of the Self. Truly, it yields great explanatory and predictive power. Yet, what is it but an illusion used to predict further illusions? Should you take pride in your ability to understand that which is petty and insignificant? Your ability to predict what arbitrary image or thoughts next floats into you perception? If you take pride in such folly, then by all means, make yourself a Professor of Shadows. Know, however, that in doing so, you drift further away from the Divine Truth.

You write: “I don’t believe that the soul ‘returns to the Light’ either. Why would a soul, that is composed of so many elements return to only one of them? Of course, part of the soul would return to ‘the Light’. But all of it?”

Ah, Exaythe, have your eyes become so blinded by Dark Things? These other elements of which you speak are arbitrary conglomerates that stick to the Soul's parcel like cancers in an attempt to weaken and subdue it, to prevent it from reaching Unison with the Light. The only feasible way in which your mind could have displayed such a sick symptom is out of a crass and perverted self-defense attempt. When faced with a greater and more powerful Truth, your mind seeks ways to dispel It to safe its Illusions. You reason with hot air, with mere mists. Shadows of shadows.

I do not think you fully understand what the final victory of Light over Darkness entails. It means the final arrival of the One Soul in the Haven of Light, the complete purging of all that prohibits enlightenment, including petty illusions and cancerous forces. Yes, a world of Light will be in perfect peaceful harmony, at the cost of the world you have clearly come to value over the Blessed one. You would prefer to cling to a darkened world because that is what you feel more comfortable in. A final victory of the Light seems like the end of the world to you.

This is true. It is the end of the world. The illusory, petty, cancerous world that infects the Soul. The end of the illusory world.

You write: “Yes, when push comes to shove and small details lead to a significant choice…it will be the Light and Shadow which fight over the direction.”

You are still unable to rid yourself of the paradigm of the self, Exaythe. When there is no such thing as free will and the self, then neither is there such a thing as choice. Choice would require a super-powerful ego that transcends the collective stream of consciousness and the powers that influence it. This is not possible. What you christen “choice” is a symptom of the Self, a defense mechanism to vindicate its importance and place in the world. A clever trick of Darkness. Your choices are not about Light and Shadow, you say? Quite true. Because your choice is an illusion.

You write: “If anybody tells me that it is somehow my purpose to reach union with the Light, I have to ask 'Why?' Why isn’t union with Shadow equally valid? Why can’t I find my purpose in understanding the nature of reality, expressing deepest emotions with art and creating and spreading order?”

Because, Exaythe, in doing so you accept the Illusion as the Truth and reject the Truth as being an Illusion. As I said earlier, the wavering of one is the wavering of all. You spread your Illusions by way of creating art and practising you sciences and magics. You propagate a state of consciousness that is Dark; for it is anti-enlightenment, in the sense that it works against it. Truly, if you reject the Light in favor of Shadow, you harm the whole. As a former-anchorite, I see it as my divine duty to ensure this wrong is righted.

“The Light is Its own proof” - If so, then why do you still reject it, Exaythe?

You write: “And I swear, if those who do not choose the Light somehow draw a short straw and are ‘punished’ in some contrived way then I will deliberately avoid the Light to protest against this cosmic injustice. I require no promises of reward or threats of punishment to follow my heart.“

Again, you show your incapability to escape the paradigm of the Self, and in doing so, you gravely misinterpreted everything I write. Saying that those who “do not choose the Light somehow draw a short straw and are punished” is ludicrous. It is a a statement without meaning. One does not reject or choose the Light. The Self is adrift on the collective stream of consciousness. One can be dragged under the Darkness, or ascend to Light, whichever way the wind blows. It is not something individuals control. Every individual that drifts to Darkness is another loss to the Light, one that must be corrected.

This does not mean that everybody has to reach enlightenment of the mind trough final denunciation of the Self. Far from it. You've hinted to this yourself – at Its core, the Light is about doing good in the world. Manifestations of altruism and benevolence. This can and shall be done by minds that have no idea of the theological arguments we discuss here. One does not even have to actually accept the Light to realize Its Will. One does not even have to know It. I have seen many fine people do good things without even having even heard of the Light. This is the true testimony to Its magnificent Truth; it is a Truth so strong, one does not even have to Know it to Feel it. Love and compassion are universal and transcendent. The One Soul drifts towards the Light by nature. We need only to rid ourselves and others of the Darkness. That is our duty as anchorites.

These theological arguments are quite insignificant. The only reason to even have them is to safe the most clever minds from the abyss. The Darkness comes in many forms, and the temptations of the mind are manifold.

Your friend,

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:43 am

Brother,

I would imagine that those who surrender to the quest of enlightement are carried by it and propelled to their final union with the Light, and indeed to those souls there would be 'Darkness'. An almost tangible entity that bars their way and seeks to subverts their progress towards the Light. Those who surrender to the path of light will see there is no self, but not because the Self never existed but simply because they have surrendered it. The Light guides them, the Light is their destination, the Light is their inspiration, the Light is their path...they are the Light and one with all else who too have surrendered. As Sanara loves to put it: hallowed are those who walk in unison.

Those who want to survive through a hungry winter can either suceed or fail. All their choices lead to one or another.

Those who want to acquire power can either succeed or fail. All their choices lead to one or another.

Those who want to achieve enlightement can either succeed or fail. All their choices lead to one or another.

If you are moved by the Light, then choice is an illusion. If you are one with the Light, then the self is an illusion. If your goal is the Light, then all that stands in your way is Darkness. If the end is enlighment, then damnation is only alternative. Your reality is what you make of it, Thelos...but it does not invalidate all the others.

Besides, how can anyone claim that a mystic reaching out to touch the depth of his heart and the Light within may learn more about the universe than all the others, practicing different disciplines, put together? To me, that is haughty and presumptious.

To whoever wrote this, there is nothing except the Light because he has rejected everything else. There is no self because he has surrendered it. He has no free will because he accepted the Light.

I make my own heaven, and this heaven is here and now. I want to walk with the Light for as far as our goals coincide, to make the world a better and brighter place. For me there is no enlightement or damnation and no end of the road except for the non-existance beyond death. I cannot ascend or descend, rise or sink. For me there is only the road I walk, following my heart, and not knowing where it leads or what consequences every turn or step may have. I have no expectations about my destination and no precognition about the consequences aside for my own judgement. I am happy to walk the road.

I believe that we both will be proven right in the end. You will become one with the Light, I will return to all the elements that make my soul. We will both cease to exist, and in that final instant before oblivion will both feel wamrth and knowing that we have each reached the end of our road, even though my end is your image of damnation.

I may study shadows, but in doing so I can create 'illusions' of my own; illussions that make life easier and happier for others. Do my actions actually matter? They certainly do to those who (think that they) benefit from them. Will my actions, my art of mastering and weaving shadows, make a difference in the greater picture? If there is no self and no free will, then the 'illusions' I create are inevitable and either help or hamper enlightement of others. If there is free will, then the 'illusions' I create are chosen by me and can help or hamper enlightement of others. Whatever the nature of reality, I will seek to understand the world and use that knowledge to make the road of life easier for others. In both worlds I will always wonder if the choices I (think I) made are right and lead to good consequences.

Whether I accept your paradign or deny it, the road of my life will not change.

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 am

I wrote it.

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 am

When pursuing the Inner Light's depths
recognize the five hindrances as completely empty
and pass beyond all vexations and distress.

Appearances are not different from emptiness,
emptiness is not different to appearances.
Appearances are empy,
emptiness is an appearance.

Impressions, thoughts, associations
and knowing too, are also like this.
All the Naaru's songs are empty of appearances,
are not created, are not extinguished,
are not defiled, are not pure;
do not increase, do not decrease.

For this reason, amidst emptiness there are no appearances,
nor are there any impressions, thoughts, associations and knowing,
There is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, touch, ideas.
There are no colors, sounds, smells,
tastes and touch.
There is no eye-element up to no imagining nor knowledge element.
Neither is there any non-understanding,
nor is there any end to non-understanding up to no pain and death.
Neither is there any end to pain and death.
There is no suffering, cause, extinction or path.
There is no knowledge nor anything to find.

Because there isn’t anything to find,
the Enlightened is free in reliance upon the Naaru's Teachings:
a heart without any obstruction.

Because there are no obstructions, there is no fear.
Abandoning, overturning dreams and concepts,
finally reaching unity with the Light.

Because all the anchorites of the Great Dark Beyond have relied upon the Naaru's teachings
they have found true enlightenment trough others.

For this reason, know that the Inner Light is the great spiritual mantra.
The great understanding mantra.
The supreme mantra.
The unequaled mantra, able to cut through all vexation
because in reality there is no emptiness.
Speak the Inner Light's mantra, speak the mantra’s words:
naaru naaru paranaaru parasmanaaru shakure.

-Thelos.

Last edited by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:10 am

(( This correspondence is making me increasingly fond of Thelos ))

corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 am

((I'm kinda on the side of Exaythe myself...))

Zouyo

Character sheet
Name: Grek'thar Earthstorm
Title: Crazy orc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:42 am

((Should have killed Thelos when I had the chance :p ))

Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 am

((*Skarain takes Exaythe's side, believes strongly that its your decisions what truly matters, what do -we- make the world to be. Also...

"There is the Light, there is the Darkness, there is the road between. A road where all colors can be seen" - Skarain))

Contact: Skarain#2346(Btag), Skarain#8885(Discord), inejaro(Skype)

Help the appearance of the server: Report player/pet/guild names.

Forum Moderator: Contact in regarding questions or issues with the forum.

"Roleplaying....is beautiful. And it may take your heart and soul. Entirely..."

Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:32 am

(( I think we can conclusively say that the heretics will side with Exaythe while the righteous will side with Thelos Wink ))

corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:35 am

((Chapter is with Exaythe then *giggle snort*))

Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 am

((It is no coincidence that out of the spiritual draenei characters, Thelos seems to have the most sympathy for the Chapter.))

Last edited by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 am

((Come on the "heretics"! Oh if only cross faction chat existed! What entertaining discussions there could be between the devout of the Light and the chosen of the Shadow could have Wink ))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 am

((Yush! If heresy is being open-minded i'm proud to be one Very Happy
*signed by former warlock, current multi-way sorceress, or "spellcaster"*))

Contact: Skarain#2346(Btag), Skarain#8885(Discord), inejaro(Skype)

Help the appearance of the server: Report player/pet/guild names.

Forum Moderator: Contact in regarding questions or issues with the forum.

"Roleplaying....is beautiful. And it may take your heart and soul. Entirely..."

Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by corleth on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 am

Skarain wrote:((Yush! If heresy is being open-minded i'm proud to be one Very Happy
*signed by former warlock, current multi-way sorceress, or "spellcaster"*))
(( Being open-minded is being open to the temptations, ruination's and damnation of Shadow, a closed-mind is a fortress! "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt". Razz ))

corleth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:47 am

Brother,

I thank you for so generously sharing your ideas with me and apologize for answering you with little more than barren denial, I feel compelled to respond positively this time.

I believe in a world that is in harmony, built from different elements like a painting is made up of different colors. Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Life and Shadow, Light and the Arcane – each of them is beautiful in their own right but together they are so much more than the mere sum of the parts; together they are the world. Together they are all that there is, the good things and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly, the praiseworthy deeds and the loathsome deeds.

Take for instance the gift of life, so many elements combined together to create the living nature. It is intricate and beautiful, fragile yet resilient, ancient yet always youthful. Life and Death are intertwined in the living nature and I cannot imagine one without the other. And look what a great variety of forms the life has taken, from smallest grasses to graceful eagles and fierce raptors. This nature too has spawned its sages, ancients as the Kal’dorei call them and Loa according to the trolls. I never had the privilege to listen to what they can teach, but I dream of one day doing so.

And the inanimate world too is full of spectacular beauty and harmony; from the seas and the rivers, to the winds and mountains and to the stars above.

But this all does not compare to the miracle of sapient life. We have the soul to marvel at the perfection of nature and the mind to understand it. Our lives are all great tragedies. So much goes into every single one of us, all the memories and events, the pain and the joy. We are compelled and pulled by a legion of forces, each urging us in a different direction. We are at the nature’s mercy, forced to survive in this world.

Is it not marvelous that there are those who see beyond every-day survival to seek greater meaning to this all, who transcend the care for the self and realize that by caring for others they can do so much more? It brings tears to my eyes to see unworthy, flawed creatures rise up and reach towards the divine with their hearts, souls and minds. They believe in a better world and they work to bring it about with no guarantees of success and no knowledge or affirmation if they are even right! For me, the Light is always in simple and flawed creatures reaching to touch the divine, marveling at it and spreading it to others with a loving smile.

Above all, we must love each other and care for each other and stand together in the shared quest of all sentient life, to foster happiness and conquer suffering, to create order our of chaos and to challenge our own limitations and transcend them in acts of courage and heroism, physical and intellectual alike.

For me, to follow the Light is to embark on the quest of life with hope and strength. To stand for the ideals none of us will see fulfilled in our lifetimes. It is a constant, joyous struggle to lead a good life despite the setbacks and fight for Life itself, in all its beauty and potential. This quest loses its meaning unless there is a choice, we must all struggle to overcome our weaknesses and limitations and aspire to Good and spread it to All.

I neither need nor want ‘High Gods’, I am surrounded by divinity inherent in every single fragment of existence. It is the harmony of this world that is truly divine, the strength and wisdom of life itself and above all the capacity for Hope, Good and Order present in all sapient beings.

This world is worth fighting for, this world is worth living in, and this world is worth improving so that it can be inherited by the future generations.

-Exaythe

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Zouyo on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 am

((...WHY THERE NO XFACTION CHAT!! Damn this debate of letters is making me wish we could have nice things like that...))

Zouyo

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am

((no reason horde cant.))

Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:55 am

Dear Exaythe,

I am glad we have gotten to an agreement.

I pray that the Light may keep you from wavering during your wandering.

May your joys be many and your hardships few,

-Thelos.

Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top