Financial Role-play

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Financial Role-play

Post by Melnerag on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:38 am

This is the project currently being worked on by the Dieudonne Seal, House Mistmantle, House Buckholme and the Forlorn Cartel. It is very close to being 'done', but I am sharing it in this forum for one final brush-up Wink There is a prize for Most Constructive Criticism.

I’ve spent days researching medieval economies and drawing up complicated tables of incomes and expenses. I’ve decided that it was too complicated, and did not assist role-play all that much. This is a simple version of a system we are intending to use with a group of people for our financial role-play. You are free to adopt it for your own uses.

Here is some suggestion for personal calculation of your character’s incomes and expenses:
1. What work does your character do, and how successful is he? Discrepancies between artisans and very good artisans are actually not that large, at most 50%
2. Does he have other members of a household? His wife may assist him in his craft, increasing revenues. You could count her as a laborer then!
3. Where does he live? Renting a room costs money. Owning a house requires maintenance and some small property-tax.
4. How well does he eat? He can survive for 0.6 silver a day, but eating ‘well’ would be in order of twice that number. Luxury many times that.
5. Does he have any additional required expenses, like maintaining horse and arms?
6. The remaining sum he has left for additional expenses, such as clothing, furniture and fun!

So, now, what was it all about? We intend to state some information about each business:
Value : value of all the items in the business, land, infrastructure, tools etc
Income: how much income does business generate
Safety: over how many weeks is an income predicted not to change
Share Price: depends on the above, how expensive is it to invest

As we role-play, do events, make decisions, trade…and even roll dices – some of the factors may change. For instance the value of a business (and with it the share value) may drop due to half of it burning down in an arson. This is a mini-game where our characters try to make money, and everybody is welcome to share in, increase or diminish our incomes through role-play! At the end of the week I will make a tally of all that has happened, roll some dices and update the information.

First and foremost, see the above numbers and information as a chance to have ‘well-informed’ role-play. This is not about richness or ‘winning’, but about fun. Hopefully this information will help make better criminal, political and financial role-play alike!

Suggestion for calculating the value your business:
1. How expensive is the equipment used?
2. How expensive are the structures used in the business?
3. What is the value of the ‘goods’ processed at one time? (High for long-distance caravans!)
4. How long did it take to get the project running? For instance, mines need time to dig before they start producing profits…all the while you got to pay your workers

Suggestion for calculating the profit of your business:
1. How many people are employed, and what do they earn?
2. Tools break, structures need repair. How much a week must you set aside to be able to replace/repair them? (usually 10% per annum)
3. Are there any taxes & tariffs you must pay?
4. How risky is the business? Are you guaranteed to complete the process every week, or can it fail? (Caravans can get raided, luxury goods may not be sold this week)
5. Now, multiply weekly expenses with a profit-margin based on the risks! ‘Normal’ margin is roughly 20%, more risky businesses can easily have 200% and even more.

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Re: Financial Role-play

Post by Drustai on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 am

... this is very good to know.

"...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization itself... In all cases, the second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write the rules under which the organization functions."

—The Iron Law of Bureaucracy

Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Silferdrake on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:34 am

Dang, this may come in really handy! Excellent work!

*Stamps the thread with the Silferdrake Seal of Approval*

Silferdrake

Character sheet
Name: Steven Silferdrake
Title: Baron

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:58 am

Drustai wrote:... this is very good to know.

And Drustai can save money on food, and spend it instead on fancy dresses. And she doesn't need a bedroom. Being undead has its advantages!

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:29 am

The problem with this, as I see it, is that it is inconsistent with the game world. For instance, in your price list, a poor horse costs 500 silver, whereas you can buy a horse from the horse trader on the Dieudonné estate for 80 silver, and I could sell you a cheap suit of armour for a lot less than the 500 silver in the list.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:00 pm

That is correct, but going by in-game prices is a sure way to madness.

20 silver coins for a pint stuff. That is like having to trade a silver armband to get a drink in a tavern Very Happy Might as well use beer as currency instead of silver then.

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Well, I like the idea, but I won't be employing it into my own roleplay, partially because of similar reasons to Valestrion, but also because I see no reason in complicating such. Especially when to a lot of people, financial RP doesn't come into play whatsoever.

I mean, fair play to those who have financial RP and enjoy it, I'm sure this system'll be very handy, especially with the amount of depth it has.

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights; It's actually nothing more... It's simply a whine. It's no more than a whine. 'I find that offensive', it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no right to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that', well so fucking what?" - Stephen Fry

Spoiler:

Forum admin - Please feel free to contact me on any of the characters in the spoiler below!

Spoiler:
Ledgic Caan (Ledgic)[A]
Zech Caan (Zéch)[A]
Omanos Galenos (Omanos)[A]
Eothan Dawn (Eothan)[A]
Taoven Andural (Taoven)[A]
Lucane Dunewall (Lucane)[A]
Rudian Chester (Rudian)[A]
Aerden Wittering (Aerden)[A]
Garly Sminter(Garly)[A]
Aramus Galenos (Arámus)[A]
Zarant Westborne (Zarant)[A]

Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Aye, we are mostly just making it for our own purposes. We share similar ideas (ie: game-prices are pure mechanics), so yea. Not forcing it on any-one Smile If you like it, feel free to use it.

Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for doing the legwork, Exaythe. However I disagree, this is most definately about richness and winning! *sends off her agents to sabotage various mines*

Sophyra better figure out a way to increase the yield from that rift and we have to start cutting corners on safety.

Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh wow this looks great!!! Well done! Very Happy

Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Also, I completely agree with how the in-game prices for things are just game mechanics and not really the reality. I mean, of course this isn't needed, but neither is role-play needed either. :p Stuff like this just makes role-playing seem more realistic and fun.

Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Heard about this earlier, nice work Melny, I might write something about some of the Cartels businesses in this fashion soon.

Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Aleric on Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:20 pm

*plans a robbery*

Aleric

Character sheet
Name: Sir Aleric Dylain
Title: Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:Also, I completely agree with how the in-game prices for things are just game mechanics and not really the reality. I mean, of course this isn't needed, but neither is role-play needed either. :p Stuff like this just makes role-playing seem more realistic and fun.

Oh, I'm sure to certain people it does make things more realistic and fun. But, yeah, it's all very much about personal opinion and play style. I mean, stuff like this saps the fun out of the RP for me, which is why I'll steer clear of it.

"It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that'. As if that gives them certain rights; It's actually nothing more... It's simply a whine. It's no more than a whine. 'I find that offensive', it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no right to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that', well so fucking what?" - Stephen Fry

Spoiler:

Forum admin - Please feel free to contact me on any of the characters in the spoiler below!

Spoiler:
Ledgic Caan (Ledgic)[A]
Zech Caan (Zéch)[A]
Omanos Galenos (Omanos)[A]
Eothan Dawn (Eothan)[A]
Taoven Andural (Taoven)[A]
Lucane Dunewall (Lucane)[A]
Rudian Chester (Rudian)[A]
Aerden Wittering (Aerden)[A]
Garly Sminter(Garly)[A]
Aramus Galenos (Arámus)[A]
Zarant Westborne (Zarant)[A]

Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad on Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Hehe and my copper based price fixing will come to pass!

Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum